• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

apisto cacatuoides let food sit?

Drewsuf82

Hey everyone!

Still pretty new to these beautiful fish and they're healthy and enjoying the tank but I've noticed they will go nuts when I feed them and then they'll spit it out and let it sit on the bottom only to find a few hours later they're eating it? Is this normal behavior? I've never seen fish do this before. After its sat for a while I'll watch them and they'll eat and swallow it no problem at all. I just don't want any issues with potentially fouling my water parameters by leaving food for the MTS snails I have in there with them.

Thanks!

Oh here's a pic of my boy

c15b77805180c8aee1a4f3791df7bd5a.jpg

And one of my ladies

878e635a4737bc2c4fbca5d6b989ee93.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Apistos are geophagines. Like species of Geophagus they sift food from the substrate, so it's a normal behavior. My guess is that you use dry foods (flakes & pellets) for the most part. Apistos aren't especially interested in these food when put in the tank. Live and frozen foods are normally taken right away.

Drewsuf82

Apistos are geophagines. Like species of Geophagus they sift food from the substrate, so it's a normal behavior. My guess is that you use dry foods (flakes & pellets) for the most part. Apistos aren't especially interested in these food when put in the tank. Live and frozen foods are normally taken right away.

Thanks I want to feed them a mix of live and dry, I mix my own dry food so I'm trying to figure out what they like and then I'll come up with a ratio. I breed cherry shrimp too so they will be getting the color culls since some said they like them. I'm going to be starting brine shrimp soon and always have micro worms at the ready for fry. I did notice the blood worms they let sit for an hour or so before eating those as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….