• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Crenuchus spilurus

rr16

5 Year Member
Hi, has anyone on here bred these? I think I've read about a couple of people trying to (I think one was Mike for some reason but I could be wrong), or intending to try. Just wondering if anyone has had any success and under what conditions and with what, if any tank mates?

joemc

5 Year Member
amazing little fish, they are one tetra that fit right in on an Apistogramma forum!
I keep them and have had them spawn a number of times, but the fish have never got to the fry stage, they have sort of been left on the shelf in recent times, just distracted with things other than fish
here is a video of my fish, if you have the patience watch it all and watch all the fish and how they are behaving

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I've tried but never successful. There are descriptions of successful breeding in many books since the 1950s, so it's not impossible. Despite the nasty looking jaws and teeth, they are really peaceful (with fish to large to swallow).

rr16

5 Year Member
I know, they're tried for my Nannostomus eques a couple of times! Not successfully though. I picked up 4 random little fish yesterday at Rare Aquatics as they had a half price sale on. They had loads of Crenuchus but I already have 6 and didn't want to risk adding any more two a 1 metre tank. I've had to put the small fish in a breeding net for fear of them getting gobbled. Not sure if my hybrid A. nijsseni/panduro young are still there as I added a lot more leaf litter, but I removed the male A. nijsseni to my larger community tank and got hold of a wild (pretty sure it's a male but it's young) A. panduro for £3 and added him to the tank. The female is giving him grief but there's plenty of leaf litter to hide in so I hope he survives and pairs. As for the 4 random fish, they were in with a shoal of very young wild neons. They look on first glance to be a species of Copella, but as I know little of Copella, I'll have to find out which. Excited though as they cost me 25p each and never kept Copella before.

Reactions: Tph

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AND

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….