• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Breeding Taeniacara Candidi...At last!!

ste12000

5 Year Member
Firstly i would like to thank Mark Breeze (Microman) for supplying me with these fish, if it was not for Mark bringing them to the Uk and successfully breeding them then i would have been waiting even longer for this spawning.
I have admired this fish in books and in pictures online for around five years but have never seen them about because they are not a common species. Mark had a few left from his breeding and was kind enough to sell me one of the last pairs from his tank because he knew i was going to try and spawn them and hopefully keep them in the Uk scene.
They settled quickly and within a week or so i had my first batch of eggs..The female laid under a piece of bogwood right at the front of the tank and the eggs were visable, They lasted three days before they disapeared..This was a common occurence for six spawnings,the female seemed to become jittery and always ate the spawn..Age may have had something to do with it, both fish are aprox 6-7 months when i received them.
Last week the female obviously had eggs in a cave and after four days she was still there, i was desperate for fry and becoming impatient for them to succeed, i decided to remove this batch to ensure myself some fry. A plastic container was sterilised and sunk into the tank, the coconut shell which made the spawning cave was slowly lifted into the container and the whole lot floated in the tank.
I counted 126 hatched larvae with were still attached to the roof of the cave by a sticky membrane, the force of moving them detatched a few which continued their development lying on the container floor. They were freeswimming after nine days at 25-26c and fed straight away on microworm and newly hatched baby brine shrimp(San fransisco strain..Much smaller!!).
They have been freeswimming for three days now and although a few have perished the majority are doing fine and feeding well. Water changes are performed daily by tipping the old water out slowly and refilling with tank water from the adults tank..

DSCF8788.jpg

DSCF8785.jpg

DSCF8789.jpg

DSCF8892.jpg

DSCF8896.jpg

bigbird

5 Year Member
wow well done.
this is an achievement and also great to see your dedication in this hobby field of the small cichlids , especially the candidi. They are also very rare in Australia and very pricy, so keep up the good work and keep us posted.
Isnt it amazing hw such small creatures give us such great pleasure to watch and learn ?
cheers jk :biggrin:

ste12000

5 Year Member
I find that good things come in small packages...(I keep telling the Missus that!!!!!!)

Your right, the smallest creatures are some of the most facinating..I think its because you really have to get right in there and study the enviroment in detail to see whats going on..Some visitors to my fishroom just dont get it and think i keep tanks of wood, plants and oak leaves...They dont have the time or patience to sit and study the tank.

I cannot understand why these fish are so rare!! England is the same as Australia in that these fish are never commonly available..Its a puzzle because they are not hard to breed, i have some fish that require Ph drops or very soft water to spawn, these Candidi are spawning regulary in my tapwater of PH 6.6, Tds 67ppm....Hopefully we can introduce them in limited numbers over here.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
The wild T. candidi have something of a reputation for being delicate and their relatively high price probably spooks a lot of fish shops and potential buyers.
The more information is shared since the advent of the internet, the more often successful spawns are occurring. I think much of the hard to keep and breed reputation is beginning to weaken. They seem to respond well enough to standard approaches used with many black water Apistogramma spp.

I am pleased to see how large spawns like your's can run. These would be nice to see become more commonly available species. Wild fish are always coming in but in small numbers. If they prove to be sufficiently prolific it is only a matter of time before they are more commonly kept and bred. Are those some Corydoras fry I see on the bottom of the nursery container?
I have regularly mixed dwarf Cichlid fry with Corydoras fry. The combination works well. The Corys are very helpful in eating freshly dead Artemia nauplii so the combination helps overall aquarium hygiene.

I am glad you mentioned the smaller size of SF Artemia. I know that but out of being a penny pincher I needed some incentive to break down and buy a large can of the cysts. The Utah eggs cost half as much but hatch out a little large for many newly free swimming dwarf Cichlid fry and newly hatched Killiefish.

ste12000

5 Year Member
The size of the spawn is down to around 70-80 now but still good enough for now...They have spawned again so i will now leave them alone to work it out themselves. Hopefully there will be more to come..

Yes thats a Corydoras..Well Scleromystax barbatus to be precise. I bought a group of juveniles at the BCA auction two months back..They have now matured and started spawning, out of 60 eggs only one hatched which is the one shown in the picture..A second spawning was 100% infertile, i just hope that with maturity they will become more fertile so i can get some fry..The lone baby in question was removed tonight after i caught it nudging the Taeniacara out of the way..

I usually use corydoras Sterbai as a cleanup crew, like you i find them invaluble for keeping fry tanks clean of uneaten food...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….