• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

WTB: C. guentheri guntheri or guntheri loennbergii

lonlangione

5 Year Member
Hello,

Any help would be appreciated. I see the kingsleyii that Ted has listed on Aquabid, but I really don't have the room for them. I am really trying to stay with smaller fish.

Thanks,

Lonny

[email protected]

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Hi Lonny,

Adult C. guentheri grow larger than C. kingsleyae. The big difference is that the guentheri will usually mature at a smaller size and are not as aggressive (though I have had some very mean Gunther's before). C. guentheri, C. regani and C. cavaliensis are probably the only 'true' Chromidotilapia. The genus used to include all the fish that are now Benitochromis. There is a morphologic argument for separating those three from all the other species (which happen to all live in Gabon). I have two of them (C. kingsleyae and C. melaniae), and they differ from the C. guentheri in body shape, color patterns and aggressiveness. The fry/juveniles of guentheri, regani and cavaliensis also have the first three spines on their dorsal fins black until they mature. The others do not.

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
Hi Lonny,

I have three mated, adult (yet young) pairs of guntheri loennbergii, and would be willing to pass one pair on to you. Send me a Pm, if interested. I do not mind shipping fish, but the temps are supposed to crash from the mid 50s to below freezing tomorrow. If you are interested, i can hold a pair for until spring.

Janos

lonlangione

5 Year Member
As usual, thanks for the info Ted. I had a fish back in the eighties called guentheri. They never got any bigger than about 5 inches that I remember, of course that was 30 years ago........Janos, PM sent.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Oops.... I made a mistake in my earlier statement. C. kingsleyae is the type species of the genus, so there is a change that the C. guentheri/regani/cavaliensis may some day be separated into a different genus... not the other way around.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….