• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Would they kill?

Mettle

5 Year Member
Would a pair of A. cacatuoides kill fish such as guppies, dwarf gouramis, platies or cories? Obvious reason is yes I have a tank with those fish and was wondering if the pair could co-exist with any of them... It would be an odd ball tank, I know, but is it doable? Or is it certain death?

Thanks in advance.

Apistt_ed

greetings mettle,

well, to answer your question, YES IT would be fine to add A. cacatuoides to your tank. Guppies aren't, dwarf gouramis, platys, and corys are all fine company for a pair of cacatuoides. they wouldn't kill your fish, maybe harass them a little, but shouldn't be a problem.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
As long as the fish do not enter the cacatuoides territory they will not be bothered, not even guppies. Unfortunately most tanks are relatively small & the fish do wander. I had a female cacatuoides kill two Flame/Von Rio Tetras that just couldn't keep their noses away from the entrance to her spawning cave. Of the fish that you list, the guppies are the most suseptable to being killed by your cichlids. They are small & rather slow. How big is your community tank?

Mettle

5 Year Member
It could be either 10 gallons or a 20 gallon long.

Would a pair of cacatuoides do alright with a small school of black phantom tetras in a 10 gallon?

Just trying to figure out my options here.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Depending on how the tank is decorated, the cacatuoides pair will breed in a 10 - if the male does not kill the female if she isn't ready to breed or the female kills the male after they breed & he cannot leave the area of the breeding cave - but the Phantoms will pick off most of the fry & the female will kill them if she can get to them. I'll say it again, a community tank is not a breeding tank. Don't expect to succeed at breeding in a community tank.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….