• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

would it be wise to make this pair a trio?

ampdaman

5 Year Member
hello everyone. i just moved my pair of agassizii from a 15long to a 20 long and as soon as i get more plants i was considering adding another female. would this be recommended? i figured since they have alot of room now that it might be a good idea to try that. also would it be wise to add some emporer tetras to the tank to add some movement? thanks in advance

-Aaron

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I think it is a good idea to add another female, since the male is polygamous. Just make sure the new fish has many places to hide. If feasable, rearrange the decorations so no fish is a newcomer in the tank. One or two Emperor Tetras should work, since it is a non-schooling tetra. More than that might cause problems with fry predation.

Cowboy

5 Year Member
Are Emperor Tetras a good dither fish? I tipically use pencils, or hatchet fish. However, in truth emperors are usually easier for me to find.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Like Pencilfish, Emporer Tetras are not true schooling fish and the male can get territorial. They should work as long as there aren't too many. They are more active than pencils, inhabit all levels of an aquarium, and are fast enough to capture fry. I wouln't add more than 2 to a breeding tank. Most apisto females will be able to handle that number of fish.

L

lighting

ampdaman said:
hello everyone. i just moved my pair of agassizii from a 15long to a 20 long and as soon as i get more plants i was considering adding another female. would this be recommended? i figured since they have alot of room now that it might be a good idea to try that. also would it be wise to add some emporer tetras to the tank to add some movement? thanks in advance

-Aaron
HI aaron ive got two female agassiziiiz and and a male in my tank as well as a few tetras. as soon as they pair off i,ll move the other female. think pencilfish are a good idea. dont know about the emporers?might not be a good idea.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….