• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Will this tank be appropriate?

Tegra1027

I set up this 55 gallon. It is currently cycling and the plants are establishing. I would like to keep a pair or more in this tank. These would be my first Apistos so I was thinking about going with Cacatuoides, however I am open to suggestions. I just want to make sure that this tank is appropriate to keep these fish and also if you think it would be possible to keep more than one pair. Keep in mind that I have a lot of stem plants in here that have not grown in yet. I am going to put a coconut cave in there, or two if you think I can have more than one pair. I may rearrange the stems around the caves which would provide extra cover. Thank you.
PXL_20220417_202233434.jpg
PXL_20220417_202226648.jpg
PXL_20220417_202222616.jpg
PXL_20220417_202204822.jpg
PXL_20220417_202213017.jpg

MacZ

Until the plants have grown in properly the fish will likely feel like sitting ducks. Also I can tell you that at least some of the plants might not make it long term for being too demanding. The hardscape is the biggest problem, but that may also be due to the size of the driftwood and the long but narrow footprint. It lacks structure (meaning barriers that block the line of sight for the fish, which is necessary for them to avoid each other. Caves are only necessary if you want to breed.

While A. cacatuoides are pretty undemanding and easily available, please be aware these fish have been subject to some decades of mass production and line breeding and mostly do not look much like their wild cousins anymore. Health problems and deformities are common.

Whether a pair or a single male is at your discretion, but as this is your first attempt with the genus, only take a single male. The tank (at least as is now) is not suitable for breeding and I am quite sure the narrow footprint will not make it easier. But just as a display tank I find it quite nicely done.

Tegra1027

Also I can tell you that at least some of the plants might not make it long term for being too demanding. The hardscape is the biggest problem, but that may also be due to the size of the driftwood and the long but narrow footprint. It lacks structure (meaning barriers that block the line of sight for the fish, which is necessary for them to avoid each other
Thank you for your response. Can you please explain a little? Why wont some of the plants make it long term? What exactly is the problem with the driftwood? I put this together with the expectation of the large piece of wood as well as the long stems creating the barrier. Will this not work?

MacZ

At least the red leafed plants might have to be moved more to the center of the tank, there is shade in the corners. Most of these plants tend to be demanding concerning light intensity.

The wood...
You can look through under it from all sides. The barriers have to be closed for vision in a height of about 10-15cm above the ground on as much of the respective axis as possible. If you can see the other side of the tank looking through it at that height, the barrier is not going to work.

Tegra1027

At least the red leafed plants might have to be moved more to the center of the tank, there is shade in the corners. Most of these plants tend to be demanding concerning light intensity.

The wood...
You can look through under it from all sides. The barriers have to be closed for vision in a height of about 10-15cm above the ground on as much of the respective axis as possible. If you can see the other side of the tank looking through it at that height, the barrier is not going to work.
Yes, except when the plants come on, it will all be covered. There is actually a good amount of light on all these plants, but I guess in time Ill see. I can always move stuff around. If for whatever the reason, the stems dont create enough of a barrier, then I can figure out something else there. As long as there is a line of site barrier down the middle, it should be ok to keep a pair of apistos?

MacZ

In my opinion it would be wise to do the structure right from the beginning instead of partial fixes and touching up at later points. Plants can grow into appropriate thickets, but there's never a guarantee. Especially as stemplants tend to thin out their leaves further down the stem.

Here's a schematic of a working exemplary structure for an Apistogramma tank I made a few months ago. Maybe this helps get across what I mean.
structure dwarf cichlids.jpg

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….