• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Wild caught panduro fry

My wild caught pair had a surprise for me when I can to their tank today. The mother was closely protecting a small group of fry. This is there first spawn and so far so good. I have a video for you guys reverse osmosis check out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Goongseu

Wow. Thank you for showing me wonderful footage.
Now I have a pair of Api. panduro. But, They are not paired.
Male chases female away. Could you give me a tip to get them paired well?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A. panduro is a nijsseni-group species. For the most part nijsseni-group species are much more selective with whom they breed. It is best to start with 6 juveniles and let them pick their own mates. Since you only have 2 fish, your best chance is to separate their tank with a partition for a while. Put one fish on each side and see how they respond to each other over time. If they look interested in breeding, then remove the partition - and keep a close eye on the fish. If this doesn't work, then you'll need to try other males with the female or other females with the male. Good luck with your fish; hope all works out.

Goongseu

Thankyou for comment. Following your suggestion, the male Panduro has been separated from the female with small transparent chamber in the same tank. A photo of my wild caught male Panduro and next is female one.
2013-11-14 002.JPG

Female Panduro.jpg

Last edited:
Wow. Thank you for showing me wonderful footage.
Now I have a pair of Api. panduro. But, They are not paired.
Male chases female away. Could you give me a tip to get them paired well?
No problem, mike had a good suggestion. Let them get used to one another and avoid damage and they usually come too. I've never had a problem with them pairing up though.

ChuckinMA

Thanks for a great video. Is she usually that intensely yellow or did the spawning enhance her coloration?

Did they give you indications beforehand that they might be pairing up? I've had a pair in a 75 gallon "community" tank for about three weeks now and they seem to ignore one another except for periodic short bursts of the male chasing the female. When I'm ready to provide optimum breeding conditions in a separate tank for them, I'll be curious to see what happens. Based on Mike's advice, I may move one over before the other.

she typically is that color yellow. They never showed much interest in each other's except the occasional chase like you said, and male flaring his fins trying to get her attention. Then one day there was fry up front.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….