• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Wild Apistos From Brazil - Help with ID please

Bev N

Apisto Club
5 Year Member
Here are some not so great shots of the apistos I got in from Brazil. There are some very pretty ones in the lot. Please excuse the bad pictures. I need a tank for pictures in the worst way.

Attachments

• Picture 071.jpg
    Picture 071.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 360
  • Picture 073.jpg
    Picture 073.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 372
  • Picture 075.jpg
    Picture 075.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 350

a.d.wood

5 Year Member
Hi Bev,

Image 1: no idea just now

Image 2: possibly Apistograma agassizii, I've had wild fish showing double lateral spots before.

Image 3: Apistogramma pertensis (or at least from this group), big paddle size caudal fin with vertical barring is quite distinctive.

Andrew

Gillie

5 Year Member
The fish in the second pic looks pulchra'ish' and the third pic looks like meinkeni, but I'm probably wrong I'm still working on my id skills.

Bev N

Apisto Club
5 Year Member
Oh don't feel bad at all Gill. I figure this is one good way for me to learn to identify them. The two lateral spots on the second one had me stumped. There are only a few of them in the bunch but they are very pretty fish. Even this young the blue on them in stunning. They are still rather small and it's hard for me (bad eyesight) to see them really well. They are still setteling in and I need to divide them up. Once I get them in a tank that isn't so dark it might be a little better to get decent pictures of them also. I do think the second one might be one I hang onto to work with. I think it's going to be a georgous fish.

Gillie

5 Year Member
The second fish is definitely nice the double spot is probably the key to identifying it. I don't know how many of them you have but if you decide to hang on to some and have a pair left over please let me know.

If those are bad pics it may be time for me to hang up my camera.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Well, the first fish is a juvenile, but I can't say what. There aren't any distinguishing markings.

The second is an agassizii-group species. It might be A. elizabethae, but needs to grow a lot bigger before I would be certain.

The third is A. cf. pertensis.

Just a silly question. How do you "work" with just one specimen when you don't know what it is?

Bev N

Apisto Club
5 Year Member
Ok...I guess I didn't spell that all out. There are a couple in the tank that look like this. I haven't sorted them all out as they have only been here less than a week. My first concern is to get them healthy. They came in rough and unfortunately there were some doas. There were I believe 150 to start. I don't know how many there are of this type or if I even have a pair. Out of 100 or so remaining fish I'd say I might have a fair shot. I guess I was just taking that for granted. Sometimes I do my musing outloud so to speak. I'ts a fish that I happen to really like and if I am fortunate to have a pair and once I get it identified then I may decide to keep it to work with it.

The third one I thought was pertensis but had no idea about the first or second. I had not thought of elizabethae. And yes he is small. There are some larger specimens like him but they are shy. He however was very difficult to get a shot of because he seemed to like the light on the camera.

With one speciman it would be pretty hard to do much..lol. I guess that did sound pretty strange.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….