• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

"Wild Apistos" at LFS

michelle767

5 Year Member
My LFS has a tank of small (most aren't even an inch), gray, and (obviously) unsexable fish labelled "wild apistos". Super-cheap, but I'm curious...does anyone know if these are likely to be the same species? And will they color up at all or do wilds tend to stay less colorful?

-Michelle

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It's hard to say for sure. Most "Mixed Apistos/Dwarf Cichlids" coming into the USA are from Peru. These usually end up being 90% A. bitaeniata, 9% A. agasszii, and 1% other species like A. cf. eunotus. Yes they do color up quite nicely. If you are interested in buying some I suggest that you buy at least 6 of various size (but the same shape). 12 would be better. Once they grow up they will pick their own mates. Then you can move the ones you don't want. Once you become good at apisto identification, these mixed lots can be a treasure chest of unusual apistos.

michelle767

5 Year Member
Thanks! I think I'll stop in tomorrow and see if they still have some. I'd be perfectly happy with bit's or aggie's, and I'll take your advice and try to pick up at least 6.

Sime

5 Year Member
Hi ,
When I ask a LFS here in OZ about getting in some Apisto, they don't want to for the same reason, they are too small no colour and can't sex or tell what sp. they are.

Mike,

Do you happen have any idea of what would be coming into Australia and from where ?
Also would you recomend doing the same here, getting an LFS to get aleast
6 of these unknowns in for me and they should colour up?

Thanks

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I really can't say. Every country is different. If the cost of "Mixed Apistos" is considerably less than specific species, then it's worth a try. In a way I sympathize with local hobbyists for Australia's restrictive import policies, but in a wayalso understand why they do it. Still I find it's policies strange at times. I understand they will be destroying a large number of Koalas on some island, where they are overpopulated & decimating the trees, instead of reintroducing them into areas where they no long exist. I never could understand bureauacracy.

Adam - Sydney

5 Year Member
If your after apistos in australia. Through most pet shops it is very limited... at least in sydney. If you find a shop that imports and quarintines themselves usually youll get some nice ones. If you live in sydney private message me and ill tell you the places i find most useful and the best quality. But mainly if your looking for any your likely to find cacatoides first and then generally the hardier species that dont need highly acidic water. Anyways private message me if you live anywhere nearby. Good luck.

inexorable

5 Year Member
Hey Michelle, I was curious where this LFS is that is offering the assorted wild apistos. I have been keeping an eye out for such offerings in my area and have found none. If its not too far from me, I want to go get some. I'm in New York City. I shop in several stores in New Jersey too.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….