• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Who can give me a picture of the apisto sp D50

crouns

A fish trader told me he got some WC Apisto sp.D50,but I cannot find any information and picture about this fish online,so I hope I can get this information from here.

JosVermeulen

I have a few photos of the Apistogramma sp. "D50" (Alto Vaupés II) at my site, too...

I saw a discussion on facebook between Frank Hättich, Roland Kipper and Erik Paul where they were discussing whether D50 was the same as D10 and it basically was a splitter vs lumper argument.

Now I was wondering what you think about it?

Tom C

5 Year Member
Apistogramma might appear very different, depending on their mood and the environment they actually stay in,
so several decades of experiences have learned me that it's not only difficult, but often also quite unreliable, to compare fishes from a few photos.

However, as I've never observed 3 rows of spots forming abdominal stripes on my A. sp. "D10", don't see the same form of the caudal spot, never have seen the dorsal fin as serrated and extended on my A. sp. "D10" males as on the A. sp. "D50" males, I would, for now, consider them as two different species. Call me a splitter if you'd like :D
Of course I see a lot of features the two forms have in common, but according to my informations, they are collected very far away from each other.
It will for sure be interesting to see if the A. sp. "D50" is a mouthbrooding species like the A. sp. "D10"...

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
I'm quite sure that D50 isn't the same species as A. cf. helkeri (= A. sp. aff. Mitu). For example, males of D50 seem to get much more elongate dorsal and anal fins and they show pronounced vertical stripes or rows of dots in their caudal fin, which are missing in A. cf. helkeri. The large male in one of Tom's pictures seems to have a two tipped caudal fin, whereas that of A. cf. helkeri is always rounded. Moreover, the caudal spot of D50 males seems to be more irregularly shaped than that of A. cf. helkeri and their dorsal fin is colored differently.
Apart from this, at least one case of larvophilous mouthbrooding has been reported from D50, whereas this hasn't been observed in A. cf. helkeri so far (at least not to my best knowledge).
I think D50 is more similar to D10, but like Tom, I'm sure that these are different species too (Roland also agrees on this Jos, we named us "splitter" and "lumper" just for fun).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….