• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Which a. borellii is it?

A

Anchor

I'm headed to the fish store in the morning to look at some new a. borellii that have come in... They will likely be young fish. Any way to tell early whether they will be "Yellow Head" or "Opal"? I'd prefer the Opal, and might not committ if they are YH.

fishboy20

5 Year Member
If the borellii are more of the opal type, they will have blue acrossed the entire body up onto the head region. Along with blue, the head will have red markings. The yellowhead variety will have yellow across about half of the body and the rest will be blue. It has been noted that all varieties can be found together in the wild and are not true color varients. So when you breed A. borellii, you may encounter some with both color types within the spawn.

A

Anchor

He's getting six of them in for only about $2.99 each -- so I think I'll probably buy all 6 and see what happens. If I understand you correctly it's likely to be a mix of both in the group?

Randall

5 Year Member
Apistogramma borellii

Hello Anchor,

Be they "opal" or not, Apistogramma borelli is an interesting and drop dead gorgeous fish! At $2.99 each, please snatch them all up and enjoy.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

A

Anchor

Thanks Randall -- I did!

There were only 4 at the store, so I bought those. They are getting comfortable in the 20. We'll post some photos when they color up a little more... hard to say much about the color right now...

Also, I'm curious if you've collected Apisto's in the wild and if so, if you have photos of habitat you could share?

J

justincgdick

Look for red markings on the head. If there is any read they are opal and if the head is ONLY yellow they are yellowhead.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….