• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

When is the best moment to remove female

Jason

5 Year Member
Hi,
How long do you let Apisto females take care of the fry? Are there any rules or is it rather intuitive? Or maybe removing her as soon as possible is best?
Jason

Bissot_J

5 Year Member
well
that a good question.
some people remove after 2 weeks, some later some before
me depend of the type and the comportement.
usually after two weeks free swinming it is a good time , but i always think longer the female is with the fry better it is
i am probably wrong :)

Randall

5 Year Member
Removing Fry

Dear Jason,

I think you'll find that many are in total agreement with our Bissot. The longer the fry can be left with both parents the better.

If you are looking to remove fry from their parents, like Bissot says after two weeks is usually okay, depending on the species. I prefer three to four weeks, but this is not always feasible.

Hope this helps.

Randall Kohn

jvr

5 Year Member
re: removing fry

I agree with the above posts the longer the better. However I usually remove my males as soon as the fry are seen as free swimming or sometimes earlier. The reason , the females will go out of their ways to keep the males at a distance, I have lost numrous males that were killed by the females who were protecting their fry. Once the male is out of the tank ,I have left the fry with the females as long as possible, some females will start to eat their fry when they are once again ready to reproduce, they then consider the fry a possible threat to their next spawn.

But the longer the better, just be vigilant in watching them.

Thanks
John

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….