• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What's this? Algea?

Ade205

Hi all. Just cycling my latest tank, a 400 litre Discus tank for my living room and I'm having loads of grey/brownish hair stuff... assuming it's algea, it's mostly on the very large piece of bog wood.
Stuff looks like old lady hair! Interestingly the wood took several weeks to sink and was in tank at full temp and there was none of this stuff, but asa I put gravel and plants in its going for gold! Tank has been running two weeks now and plants are growing well so hoping this stuff will die away in a few weeks!

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Ade.

gerald

5 Year Member
It's fungus and bacteria growing on the decaying organic matter left in the wood (sap, sugars, etc). It's harmless and will go away after all the decomposable material has leached out.

Ade205

Thank you Gerald. It's driving me mad at mo, constantly cleaning and siphoning! As if Discus arent enough work already lol!!! It's odd because I've never encountered this before and I've done a few tanks with wood in my 30 plus years in this game, though this is by far the biggest peice of wood!

Thanks, Ade.

gerald

5 Year Member
I usually soak new wood in my rain barrels outside until they get over the slime-growing phase. P.S. - if that's all it takes to drive you mad, why the heck are you keeping discus? ;)

Ade205

That's a good idea. I've never had a peice that's this big...had no chance of boiling it lol Was a complete bugger to get in the tank as the brace bars were in the way and once it sank and was water logged it weighed a ton! Was annoying as had to get it back out because needed to cut it down a little to get it at angle I wanted!

Re Discus, good question lol!!! Been keeping them for decades and they ain't to bad... ish! Think most, including myself, overkill the water changing, just not as important nowadays but it's just habit! They can be a pain though, they get wormed more frequently than my cats and dogs!!

gerald

5 Year Member
Boiling driftwood won't necessarily get all the sap and other organics out. It may still grow fungus for awhile even after boiling.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….