• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

what to do with the male after the female has spawned

S

stevehk

hi all,

i am from hk and new to this forum. i have a question about what to do with the male after the female has spawned. do you take away the male? if so, when?

thanks.

steve

kross

5 Year Member
i took my male tri after it became horny again. :p it turned aggressive towards the female and the fries were all over the tank. lost a couple a fries before i finally remove the male. :roll:

cootwarm

5 Year Member
Hi Steve,

You don't need to separate them unless you actually see physical damage. When my "Maulbruter" female is caring for freeswiming fry, she appears to give the male severe beatings. But I haven't removed him yet, as there are no open wounds (or even missing scales) and his fins still look perfect. He also doesn't behave like he is beaten, as he still swims casually about the tank. So I guess the beatings look worse than they actualy are.

I like to keep my apisto families together. I feel that their behavior is more interesting and natural. I've spawned many cacatuoides this way, as well as, borellii, atahualpa, viejita, maulbruter, and sp. "Blue" and haven't had to separate any yet. In general, the male keeps the predators away, while the female directly cares for the brood. My maulbruter male completely ignores the fry. He doesn't eat them, but he doesn't take care of them either.

Some species of apisto are generally more aggressive than other species, but as with most cichlids, they are individuals with individual personalities. I would leave them together until you see that it's necessary to separate them.

Michael

Randall

5 Year Member
Pair-bonding species

Hello Steve,

It's great to have you with us! Welcome.

I couldn't agree with Michael more. Unless one of your pair is harming the other, there is no reason to separate them. Pair-bonding species that are compatible are best left alone to raise their fry together.

In fact, with some species of dwarf cichlids, it is the male that assumes the lion's share of broodcare. It's best to leave a harmonious pair be, sit back and enjoy them.

Good luck!

All the best,

Randall Kohn

S

stevehk

thank you , guys :D
i hope my pair will spawn soon so that i can watch them take care of the fry.. :D

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pupps

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….