• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What Nannacara is this?

georgedv

5 Year Member
I got three nannacaras from a lfs. They were id as nannacara that is it. I tried getting some pics but they are too fast. i will try again tonight. The look like N. Anomala or N. Aureocephalus. I have not been able to find any good pics to compare. I realize without a pic it is hard for any one to id. Basic look is that of the anomala. light tan with brown characteristics for the lateral line from eye to tail and design near dorsal fin. What gets me is the light orange found in the dorsal, caudal and ventral fins.

Any ideas before i get pic is very helpfull.

g

georgedv

5 Year Member
How to up load pics

I tried up load some pics but could not figure out how to do it. I also noted that at the bottom where it says "POSTIN RULES" it says I CAN NOT POST ATTACHMENTS. Couls that be the reason? If so how do I change that?

thanks

g

Konigwolf

5 Year Member
you need an account with a third party image hoster, eg photobucket (free easy to use), after you upload images to hoster, either click insert image icon and copy/paste web url into box provided or with photo bucket copy/paste bottom option from photobucket page to forum page (hope i havnt confused u)

HTH

Andrew

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
N. anomala and N. aureocephalus are easy to separate by looking as the edges of the scales on the flanks of the fish (especially the males).

N. anomala: flank scales with dark centers and lighter edges, usually metallic gold or green.

N. aureocephalus: flank scales with light centers and darker edges, usually metallic blue or black.

Now that I've described the difference, do you know that the species we call N. anomala might not be the real N. anomala?:eek: Nah, I won't go there.

georgedv

5 Year Member
Thanks andrew & mike for your input.

Mike are you talking about individual scales or is this a pattern that covers all the scales on the flanks.

What is strange is that one of the three had a different pattern around the whole dorsal area, from head to tail, at the lfs. I figured that one was a diff sex than the other two. When I got them home all three looked the same.

IndianaSam

5 Year Member
What is strange is that one of the three had a different pattern around the whole dorsal area, from head to tail, at the lfs. I figured that one was a diff sex than the other two. When I got them home all three looked the same.
My Nannacara taenia 'guyana' seem to be able to change their pattern from minute to minute.

It makes it hard to discern individuals :)

Sam

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Thanks andrew & mike for your input.

Mike are you talking about individual scales or is this a pattern that covers all the scales on the flanks.

Look at individual scales, especially on the middle of the flanks.

As Sam said, these cichlids can change color pattern quickly. They can be sex by looking at the dorsal fin pattern. Males of both species have many fine dots at least on the front part of the dorsal. Females don't show this pattern.

georgedv

5 Year Member
I am now going to attempt loading pictures. I hope this works.

Nannacara3.jpg

Nannacara2.jpg

Nannacara1.jpg

g

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
It looks like N. anomala or the VERY closely related (possible form of anomala) N. sp. "Yiyi". But better photos are needed to get you a positive I.D.

Jeff

georgedv

5 Year Member
Any part in particular I need to photograph to help ID the fish?

These little ones, about one inch, have a heck of a personality. When I approach to feed trhem or just watch them they race to the front of the tank, make sudden turns and 360s, just like a puppy dog. Funny!!!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Any part in particular I need to photograph to help ID the fish?

The problem with the photos is that they are not good enough for identification. Most are out of focus, too light or dark, and the depth of focus/field is too shallow (use a higher f-stop if you can). Also at 1"/2.5 cm they are still juveniles and will not show sexual differences.

border

5 Year Member
N.anomala

It looks like N. anomala or the VERY closely related (possible form of anomala) N. sp. "Yiyi". But better photos are needed to get you a positive I.D.

Jeff

:biggrin: Fellow: I live in Argentina,and in Corrientes province (North West from Buenos Aires,around 1.40 minutes by airline) I caught some Nanacara anomala...and that show in the pic isn't it.:biggrin:

fishme.

5 Year Member
hello border

did you measure the water value ? i would like to know

was there aquatic vegatation leaf litter etc ?

thanks
Nick

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
:biggrin: Fellow: I live in Argentina,and in Corrientes province (North West from Buenos Aires,around 1.40 minutes by airline) I caught some Nanacara anomala...and that show in the pic isn't it.:biggrin:

How intersting. Nannacara are not native to Argentina. They must have escaped from somewhere else, possibly a hobbyist or commercial breeder.

jose_vogel

5 Year Member
Border, I´m almost sure you´re wrong.

It must be Laetacara dorsigera, could you post some pics?

Unfortunatelly, as we have (in the hobby) just Laetacara dorsigera; there´s a strong tendency to missname the genus Laetacara, Nannacara and Ivanacara and call all of them Nannacara

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonaldStype

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….