• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What is the difference between A. nijsseni and A. panduro? Are there any?

Siggi

Hi, all.
I have made some unscientific 'research' and I can't find any real differences between Apistogramma species nijsseni and panduro.
Their type locations and distributoins appears to me to overlap, environmental demands are the similar, behavioural and morphological characteristics also seem to be 'overlapping'...

Two questions:
  1. Why are they considered as different species and not populations of the same species?
  2. Can I have both in the same tank without 'troubble' and without risk of hybridization?

Thank you in advance for your time and attention.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Answer 1. They are different in shape of fins and pattern of dark markings. It's been discussed here many times so I won't go into it. Do a search on this site for info.

Answer 2. Trouble really depends on the size and lay-out of the tank. They will hybridize if there is forced, i.e. they have no member of the opposite sex of the same species with which to breed (Any port in a storm). Römer shows some examples of nijsseni-group species forced crosses in his description of A. baenschi; deformed and ugly.

Siggi

Hi, all.
Thanks, Mike.
Answer 1. They are different in shape of fins and pattern of dark markings. It's been discussed here many times so I won't go into it. Do a search on this site for info.
I'll do a more thorough search on this subject.

Answer 2. Trouble really depends on the size and lay-out of the tank. They will hybridize if there is forced, i.e. they have no member of the opposite sex of the same species with which to breed (Any port in a storm). Römer shows some examples of nijsseni-group species forced crosses in his description of A. baenschi; deformed and ugly.
They will be in a 350G nature aquarium-ish set-up. There will be lots of (small) plants, as I will cut and spread my plants to cover as much ground as possible. As it will be viewable from both sides, it will be an island setup with higher rock formation to one side with some wood and epiphytes and sloping to the other end with plants. Later on, there will be lots of hiding places, but my concern is in the earlier phases, before plants create shelters if I would be better off not mixing them. I know some apistos can be territorial and wanted to know if that might become an issue between nijsseni and panduro's...
Maybe I should just stick to one of the two... (I already have breeding nijsseni's (in the holding tank), but my LFS mailed me saying they were going to stock panduro's...)
Hence my asking about 'troubble' ;-)

Thanks for your time.

mrjbacon

5 Year Member
With a tank that size it seems to me that you could have both, but it would depend on the population. How many are there?

Drayden Farci

5 Year Member
Just stick with one of the two. There are minor differences in appearance, but not significant enough to bother keeping both in the same tank. If you can't tell the difference as it is, there's really no reason to keep both, right? It will save you the trouble of any hybridization down the road. 350G is a huge setup, though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….