• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What beginner plants do you think work best w apistos? (33 gal)

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Have a look at <"Dwarf cichlid: Aquarium plants">.

I have Cryptocoryne spp., Anubias, Bolbitis heudelotii, Java Fern, Water sprite and Echindorus spp. in all of my tanks. Also a floater, usually "Amazon Frogbit" (Limnobium laevigatum), but any floating plants, which aren't CO2 limited, are very suitable for Dwarf Cichlid tanks.

Also there is the <"Duckweed Index">, a simple way of keeping your plants growing in a low nutrient environment.

cheers Darrel

TCMontium

5 Year Member
I try to use south american native plants in general. My substrates are either nonexistent or JBL Sansibar. I either leave plants with the sponge-plastic pot they came in or leave them floating. My water values usually are: pH 5.0-6.0, dgH 0-3, dkH 0-3, conductivity 30-80 microSiemens, 24-30C degrees. I try to use "middle to strong" lighting mainly for floating plants. I never used CO2, fertilizers or mineral rich water such as tapwater in the last few years.
With all that said, my casual plant choices these days are: Echinodorus spp. (mainly bleheri, amazonicus or argentinensis), Hydrocotyle leucephala (needs more light than other submerged plants, kinda better as a floating plant), Salvinia spp., Lemna spp., and Ceratophyllum demersum.
It seems like Phyllanthus fluitans is a good choice too, though I guess it requires more light than other floaters and gets outcompeted easily. Lileopsis brasiliensis lived for half a year and grew a little bit without much lighting, but it probably isn't good for anything but decoration without fast growth rate.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….