• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What are these?!?

HookedOnFish_MI

I temporarily removed the leaf litter from my 75 gallon to catch a fish and clean all the snails off them. Shortly after, I noticed white little organisms shaped like miniature brooms climbing on the glass near the sand substrate.

D88C4BA7-5B2E-450B-9A62-35723815D328.jpeg

What are they?
Are they harmful?
If so, how do I get rid of them?

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
5 Year Member
Wow. Nice camera shot too. I'd have a hell of a time capturing those. Did you remove them?

HookedOnFish_MI

I tried wiping them in the beginning too, but this can fragment the little pests or just frees them into the water column so that they move to another spot in the tank.

Eventually they get to bothersome levels when feeding microworms/BBS. I've used Panacur with great success to wipe them out without hurting snails or fry.

>Sarah
Thank you Samala. I’ll see if I can find any of that.

JeffInKentucky

I temporarily removed the leaf litter from my 75 gallon to catch a fish and clean all the snails off them. Shortly after, I noticed white little organisms shaped like miniature brooms climbing on the glass near the sand substrate.

View attachment 10141

What are they?
Are they harmful?
If so, how do I get rid of them?

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.
I wiped the glass with my algae pad and got the majority of it that way. I see a couple stragglers I can get with another wipe too.
Be careful when wiping because pieces/buds will break off, which is how they multiply. If you just have big fish, they are not a problem. If you have small fish, fry, or shrimp, the hydra will prey on them. The best/safest way that I’ve gotten rid of them is with Planaria Zero. It’s plant, fish, and shrimp safe, but it can kill snails.

HookedOnFish_MI

Be careful when wiping because pieces/buds will break off, which is how they multiply. If you just have big fish, they are not a problem. If you have small fish, fry, or shrimp, the hydra will prey on them. The best/safest way that I’ve gotten rid of them is with Planaria Zero. It’s plant, fish, and shrimp safe, but it can kill snails.
Thanks! Sounds like a 2 for 1 special to help get rid of those pesky snails ;)

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wrothgar

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….