• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Weird lump on belly

DyingDead

Hi all,

I am new to the forums. I've recently started to keep apistogrammas. I've gotten a pair of macmasteri from my LFS.
Just yesterday I've noticed a sort of lump that grew on my female.

I've attached a picture of it.

Is this a cause for concern?

Attachments

• weirdlump.jpeg
    weirdlump.jpeg
    192.9 KB · Views: 92

MacZ

Barely visible in this picture, but of any possibilities... nothing you can do about it. If the fish doesn't show any problems, it's fine. Once it shows problems all you can do is euthanize. I would not use the fish for breeding in case it is cancer, because if that's the case it might be heredetary.

DyingDead

Barely visible in this picture, but of any possibilities... nothing you can do about it. If the fish doesn't show any problems, it's fine. Once it shows problems all you can do is euthanize. I would not use the fish for breeding in case it is cancer, because if that's the case it might be heredetary.
:eek: Oh man.

My male one have been chasing after her so I thought it might be something that is brought on due to stress and that it can be cured.

I've managed to take another photo of her. Does it shed any more light on what this lump might be? (Still hoping it is something that can be cured by putting into an isolation/hospital tank)

Attachments

• weirdlump2.jpeg
    weirdlump2.jpeg
    302.9 KB · Views: 75

MacZ

The new picture tells me: It's a cyst.
(Still hoping it is something that can be cured by putting into an isolation/hospital tank)
Sorry to pop a bubble here, but cycts and tumors are untreatable. Basically only parasites and bacterial infections are treatable, both provided they are identified in time and fitting meds are available.

You have a dead fish swimming. Sorry. :/

Last edited:

DyingDead

The new picture tells me: It's cyst.

Sorry to pop a bubble here, but cycts and tumors are untreatable. Basically only parasites and bacterial infections are treatable, both provided they are identified in time and fitting meds are available.

You have a dead fish swimming. Sorry. :/
T_T

Thanks for your help. This is a huge bummer. Is this issue a common one for apistos?

My LFS staff was helpful enough to help me pick out one that looks the healthiest. She has the most color out of the selections they have. It was just 2 days ago that I've got them.

MacZ

Is there anyway that I could've prevented it or this is just the luck of the draw?
Nothing you could have done besides chosing a better source. If that was one of the most healthy fish... I wouldn't have bought any from that store. For the fish itself... nature rolled a die.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….