• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

WC Apisto from Peru ID?

Ekona

5 Year Member
This male apisto came in with A. luelingi from Brian at wildPERU.
I don't know if the photos below are good enough to allow for a proper ID, but they are the best that I can do at the moment, and thought I would post a few pics and see if there is enough detail to get an idea of what they are. Any help appreciated.

This is a very pretty fish, with blue and red on the gill covers, maroon dorsal and caudal fins with gold highlights, blue and orange pelvic fins, blue and orange anal fin. At times the caudal spot appears to be two separate spots instead of one.
urteagai1.jpg

This image shows the light green scales present below the lateral line.
Urteagai3.jpg

This photo shows a little bit more of the caudal pattern, basically a maroon colored fin with golden spots scattered throughout.
Urteagai4.jpg

This is the male with the lateral line showing more clearly
Urteagai6.jpg

Here is a female
UrteagaiFemale.jpg

afra

5 Year Member
I got some Luelingi from Brian too. The male has the start of a lyretail and he came in with 4 definite females and one that I am not sure of yet. The Urtagei look something closer to this with the dorsal starting to get fuller and taller.

Ekona

5 Year Member
Welcome to the wonder mess that is known as the eunotus complex!
Thanks, Jeff. You certainly have some fine looking apistos from the eunotus complex (I voted for your photo of one in the photo contest ;))

I can see some similarities in the fish from Brian and the eunotus. From what I have been able to gather , however, I'm wondering if these may be something from the resticulosus complex - possibly A. urteagai or A. cf. resticulosus. These, I think, were collected in the Rio Madre de Dios drainage near Puerto Maldonado, Peru. Do eunotus occur in that area? One thing I see is that in these the 7-bar appears to have the downward angle on it which would place it in the caetei-complex?, I'm not sure if caetei-complex fish occur in that area, either.

I got one pair of luelingi from Brian that were possibly the least colorful apisto I've ever seen, he also sent 1 male and 4 females (i think) of these and I'm glad he sent them (instead of more luelingi ) - as they are way more interesting in my opinion.

Whatever they are, they are becoming a favorite apisto.

Ekona

5 Year Member
I got some Luelingi from Brian too. The male has the start of a lyretail and he came in with 4 definite females and one that I am not sure of yet. The Urtagei look something closer to this with the dorsal starting to get fuller and taller.
Nice, glad you got both those species! Would love to see pics of the A. urteagai if you ever take some.
Good luck with them!

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Thanks, Jeff. You certainly have some fine looking apistos from the eunotus complex (I voted for your photo of one in the photo contest ;))

I have a picture in a photo contest? I didn't enter it!!! Where is the post? But thank you for the complement.

Ekona

5 Year Member
I have a picture in a photo contest? I didn't enter it!!! Where is the post? But thank you for the complement.
Was there not a photo of an orange tailed eunotus from your post about the ID quest? I thought I voted on that or maybe it wasn't the photo contest but something else? I dunno. Maybe I gotta get back onto coffeeo_O

Ekona

5 Year Member
I started an ID thread with that fish and a bunch of pics. Maybe that was it.
Yes, I saw that, and I thought one of those photos was in the contest - perhaps it was someone else who submitted a similar photo? - anyway, those fish of yours really transformed over time - amazing apistos!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Ekona, your fish are members of the resticulosa-complex. Based on the abdominal markings and caudal fin pattern, your fish look more like A. cf. resticulosa from the Rio Madre de Dio (and Rio Acre) than A. urteagai. So that would be my best guess based on the photos provided.

Ekona

5 Year Member
Thank you, Mike. After taking another look at Tom's site, they do look to be just about identical to the A. cf. resticulosa photo there, so I'd have to agree with you. Your article there and all photos from Tom really are a great resource. Much appreciated. It's also great that Brian is bringing these wild apistos in. The A. cf. resticulosa are really very nice.
Dave

Ekona

5 Year Member
Got an actual camera to work with - here are a few photos that show the A. cf. resticulosa somewhat more clearly than the above photos. Nice little apisto, with lots of color changes and a subtle beauty.

Male at feeding time - he gets an interesting pattern on his body. All the little white specs in the scene are not dust on the aquarium glass, but actually micro-organisms that have colonized the water column (I think they might arise from the sphagnum moss i'm using in the tank?), not sure what they are, but if these apistos ever produce free-swimming fry, the fry should have plenty of food right from the get-go.

Acfresticulosa_zps2bd12589.jpg

Another photo of the same male showing caudal pattern a little better

Acfresticulosa5_zps1d6ac60d.jpg

A calm female? showing touches of the same colors as the male.

FemAcfresticulosa2_zps69575193.jpg

Another female? showing some bluish color in the gill cover area.

FemResticulosa3_zpsdc42d119.jpg

I think this is another female. This one generally shows much darker black markings along the scale edges on it's sides and I'm wondering, if it is a female, if it might be a different species (A. urteagai?) than the first two.

FemAcfresticulosa1_zps04c2a09b.jpg

Ekona

5 Year Member
With my new camera, I'm able to get much clearer pictures of the characteristics of the fish I received from Brian Pekins. What I am noticing is that in the photo of the female above and in this displaying male, it looks as if these fish show the characteristic of the downward angled 7th bar. My understanding is that this a characteristic is more likely to appear in A. cf. urteagai. Given these clearer photos, any opinions?

urtagaiPair_zpsb1234a66.jpg

Ekona

5 Year Member
Another view of the male showing the extent of the abdominal steaks below the lateral band and also the downward angled 7th bar.

UrtagaiSide_zps89500db7.jpg

And a female clearly showing the downward angled 7th bar.

CloseupFemaleUrt_zps901baa5b.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
This feature is found on many species of the caetei-, Xingu-, and resticulosa-complex. You can't take only one feature and expect to identify a species, especially species of the regani-group. One of the important diagnostic features of A. urteagai is the abdominal markings, particularly in neutral mood. Dark markings are broader and mostly restricted to the edges of the first 2 rows of scale just below the lateral band. On A. (cf.) resticulosa forms, the abdominal markings are usually seen as narrow diagonal streaks (dark edges to the scales) that extend almost to the ventral margin of the body while in neutral mood.

Ekona

5 Year Member
Thank you, Mike. I was hoping the photos above would clearly show the abdominal markings, as I remember your comment about the importance of that feature. Looks like a cf. resticulosa feature on this fish.

Ekona

5 Year Member
About the downward angled 7th bar occurring in many species of the caetei-, Xingu-, and resticulosa-complex, found this video of A. gossei in it's natural habitat, and noticed that A. gossei also shows the same feature. See time 3:34.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….