• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Water Flow Issue?

archangelvk

I understand the importance of having good water flow throughout the tank for plants and fish. I have this 4 foot long 33G tank and as you can see in the picture (which I hope worked) I have the filter (AC 50) on the left side of the center brace. I was wondering if there would be enough water flow to the left side of the tank (the pool filter substrate side) since there are so many plants in that section. If not, would it be better to add another HoB filter (which would have to be another AC50 since my AC20 wasnt big enough to hang off the back)? or some kind of power head/ wave maker? Im planning to keep Apistos in there and I know they dont like crazy currents.

Attachments

• Flow.jpg
    Flow.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 464

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Its more for the live plants that I have in there.
You should be fine. You only need a large water turn-over when you add CO2. The recommendation then is x10 of the rating of the filter.

If you don't add CO2 then a relatively slow flow is fine. I only keep planted tanks, but I don't add CO2, and I don't regularly add fertilisers, I use the <"Duckweed Index">.

cheers Darrel

Dee Vura

I understand the importance of having good water flow throughout the tank for plants and fish. I have this 4 foot long 33G tank and as you can see in the picture (which I hope worked) I have the filter (AC 50) on the left side of the center brace. I was wondering if there would be enough water flow to the left side of the tank (the pool filter substrate side) since there are so many plants in that section. If not, would it be better to add another HoB filter (which would have to be another AC50 since my AC20 wasnt big enough to hang off the back)? or some kind of power head/ wave maker? Im planning to keep Apistos in there and I know they dont like crazy currents.

Dee Vura

Hello I run 2 ac50 on that exact tank 1 on the far right of the tank and the other against the dividing bar of the tank and I also run a sponge filter, seems to work very well

Dee

Larry Rogers

5 Year Member
You can answer your question with a bottle of food coloring. Put a couple drops in the corner of the tank and see how it flows, repeat process for all four corners and repeat process. Plants and filter will disapate food coloring.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….