• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

vetral fins

yukondog

5 Year Member
Do all apisto females have black on there ventral fins, in my case agassizii and Hongsloi, there about 1 1/4" long? I received 8 apistos 3 males and 5 females, bags were not marked, single fish per bag, now I'm trying to figure out what the females are.

Norman Fenske

I decided to check my apisto's, the triple reds, the veijita, trifasciata's, orange flash the females have black on their ventral fins. The golden Cacatuoides ( they are still small do not. I also have a book " Aqualog Extra the latest Apistogramma " and it looks like some do some do not the majority from what I see in the book the females do have the black. Hope this helps??

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Black ventral spines is not a good method for sexing the entire genus. In some species, females have black and some don't. The same is true for males. Most mature females (and immature males) in the hongsloi-complex show black ventral spines. At 1¼"/3cm your fish possibly could be small males.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Black ventral spines is not a good method for sexing the entire genus. In some species, females have black and some don't. The same is true for males. Most mature females (and immature males) in the hongsloi-complex show black ventral spines. At 1¼"/3cm your fish possibly could be small males.

yukondog

5 Year Member
Thanks Norman, does anybody know of a sight where they might have pictures of females NOT in breeding colors.

yukondog

5 Year Member
Thanks Mike, I think 1 of them might be a small male, I noticed a very slight orangish tint on the belly of one of the "females".

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….