• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Triple Red Cacatuoides - How to make distinguish female

C

christofix

Hi,

I found some cacatuoides Triple red, and I´m not sure which are male and which are female. All are Red ( triple ). One seems to be a female, but it´s only "feeling". Does any body have a way to make the difference ?

Christophe :?:

Neil

christofix,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Depending upon the size of the fish that you are looking at, there are several things to check. The first would be the front edge of the ventral fins. Often female will have a black front edge on these fins. Sometimes a female will have a little lighter color (maybe even a yellow color). Along with that the red/black marking on the fins are probably lighter or covering less of the fins. Finally, there might be a difference in the size and shape of the fins. The dorsal may be lower without any extensions on the front 3rd to 5th rays and the caudal might be rounder or flatter without any extensions on the top and bottom, making a lyretail. Look also for shorter ventral fins.
I have the same problems IDing my triple reds, because the females are so nice. It use to be easy, but now they are getting so much color in the fins that it is difficult until they are larger. The female can make all the difference in producing very nice fry. So, if you have found fish that are hard to tell apart, then you are probably looking at very good brood-stock.
Now all you have to do is figure out how to get a pair out of the ones that you are looking at! 8O :D Neil

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….