• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

To water change or not to water change

Spidy

Hi all.

I have free swimming fry in my two foot tank with both parents and three pencil fish. Mama is keeping everybody at bay so I have no concerns there. My question is, the tank is due for a water change, but do I bother, or am I risking spooking mama and she eats her fry?

Any advice welcome.

pastry

5 Year Member
Solely coming from my discus keeping roots... the more, the better. Although I'm a risk taker, I don't see any risk with 60% WC at least once a week.

While changing water more frequently with discus and a tank that also has other fish, I see higher growth in other fish tremendously when changing the water often. Discus keepers are WC extremists and I am not an extremist (70% twice a week... whereas many are 90% daily). Still, I easily see a huge (positive) difference with other species in my tank when doing so. Adults, juveniles, and fry.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Discus & apistos live in different biotopes in the wild. Depending on the species, frequent large water changes for apisto fry can lead to losses - unless the change water values are similar to those of the tank's.

Spidy

pasty, I also keep discus and do the large frequent water changes but I'm asking about very young apisto fry.

Mike, did a 20% WC on Thursday, reluctantly, and seems I was gentle enough not to stress any member of the tank. Fry are coming along nicely.

pastry

5 Year Member
Gotcha. Yeah it's still very young then I could see how I would be nervous to do large changes. Do you start to do larger water changes after 4-8 weeks of free swimming? Just curious.

Next week I am putting 4 of the little ones from my first spawn of ap. Eunotus in my son's 28 gallon tank upstairs. They are only how about 2 months old. I don't change the water in that tank nearly as often as I do 150 gallon discus tank that I have them in right now. Curious to see how those four grow in comparison to the ones I leave in the big tank.

Spidy

pastry I was thinking of going to larger weekly water changes when they're large enough to take food on their own and don't look around for mama any more. I reckon that's close enough to 8 weeks or so. But larger doesn't mean 50% in this case as I believe these fish will do better with 30% WC.

Keep in mind however that I've only raised discus and German blue rams and this is a first for me, so I'll be grateful for advice from people like Mike who have been down this path before.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….