• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tilapia ruweti

lonlangione

5 Year Member
I recently purchased 4 T. ruweti from a LFS. They were on clearance and I got them for $4.75ea....... They were about 1 1/2 - 2" long and I put them in a 20 long to get some size to them and till I could get a 40 gallon ready. They are still in the 20 long. I had them about 6 weeks when I went down and saw a patch of eggs on the top of a river stone. The eggs are an "army" green and tiny. I left the eggs in and they disappeared in two days. Three are good size and one is staying small. Besides the pair, one appeared to be another female. Last Saturday morning I went down and there was another spawn. I decided to let them go. The female was a great mother fanning the eggs while the male was mid tank fending off the other two fish. Monday night I looked and the eggs were gone but I was remenants of the eggs on the river stone and they female was guarding the front corner of the tank where there was a small divit in the gravel. Friday I went down and she had another divet cleared under a stone and she was now guarding that area. I got a small siphon and retrieved 10 babies. I fed the fish and they stopped looking for the babies. Saturday I checked them because I wanted to pull out the other two fish and to my surprise, the other female has spawned in the same spot. The male is helping her fan the eggs. I read several accounts on spawning these guys and most accounts said they were lousy parents. But I am impressed with their diligence and also the trio getting along fairly well. I do believe the smaller of the four is another male and I realize I Have to get him outta there before they knock him off. I'll update this weekend as to how they are doing.

Lonny

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
Lonny,

I kept and bred ruweti for a while before passing them on to Troy Veltrop. Great-looking fish, but "lousy parents"is an understatement. I always had to pull the eggs and hatch them in a tumbler.

Janos

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….