• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

This is a bit of newbie question - which apistogramma prefer warmer waters

anewbie

I have several apistogramma:
cockatoo
hongsloi
nijesseni
-
My question is which species actually prefer warmer waters (upper 70's lower 80's). I would like to setup a large tank that includes rams and would like several species of apistogramma that prefer temps around 81 as a norm without 'burning out' (significant impact on life span). I do realize that, for example, cockatoo prefer cooler waters with slight elevation during breeding and they are not in a tank with rams or other warmer water fishes.

-
Also are any apistogramma that do not prefer harem (this is mostly to ensure i avoid extra females for them)?
(Is there an existing summary of all the major species and prefer breeding habits and living conditions (temp et all) ?)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Of the 3 species listed, A. hongsloi fits the requirements best. They are even found in the same areas as Rams. That being said, unless you have a very large tank, don't add breeding pairs into a community situation. This can lead to problems.

anewbie

I'm sorry the question wasn't clear. I meant in general what species prefer warmer waters - not of those i have. I'm trying to plant out a future tank and looking for fishes to consider.

Yea - i'm not an expert but i've dealt with breeding angels and rams in community tanks in the past. The tank i'm planning will likely have floor space of 8x4 (8 foot long 4 feet wide - though might have to reduce it to 3 feet wide).

Of the 3 species listed, A. hongsloi fits the requirements best. They are even found in the same areas as Rams. That being said, unless you have a very large tank, don't add breeding pairs into a community situation. This can lead to problems.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….