• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Testers (pH, TDS, etc)

JG

5 Year Member
Hi all,

I remember someone, I thought on this forum, telling me that they've used Hanna Instruments brand testers. Does anyone else here use ph and/or TDS electronic testers? If so, how do you find them helpful? I'm trying to decide on whether I want to purchase one or two of these testers, as I'd like to know the exact measurments in my dwarf tanks. Any feedback would be welcome.

See the following links:

http://www.hannacan.com/fiches_techniques/HI98300.pdf
http://www.hannacan.com/fiches_techniques/HI98106.pdf

Thanks,

Jay

T_om

5 Year Member
I use a Hannah 9813 (pH, uS, and PPM) and am very happy with it. Have had it several years and it is good as new.

Hannah is a very reputable name in testers.

Tom

JG

5 Year Member
Thanks for the recommendation Tom. If you don't mind me asking, where did you purchase it? I was considering ordering directly from Hanna via my business if necessary. And what sort of costs are associated with these testers and the one you specifically have?

Thanks,

Jay

cootwarm

5 Year Member
Hi Jay,

I also use the Hanna Combo meter. I think it might be the same model Tom has. The main reason I bought it was to measure pH lower than 6.0 as it seems that pH test kits don't work that low. I think it's also more accurate than the test kits. It also saves time. I got a package of the smallest size disposible cups to take the water samples for testing. This way I've always got a clean cup to take samples with and I just throw it away when done.

You will also need calibration solutions. When I got mine, I bought about 4 solutions for it. I think it was only about $15 for all the solutions. I got mine from Ted Judy awhile back. He had one left over after a group order.

Do a search on "Hanna" and that should bring up the old posts where this was discussed.

Michael

JG

5 Year Member
Thanks for the tip Mike.

I was trying to PM Ted but it seems that functionality of his profile is not actve.

Ted,
If you're reading, I was wondering if you had any remaining meters "left over" from your last order? If so, what are they and how much do they cost? If not, will another order be made soon?

Thanks,

Jay

T_om

5 Year Member
JG said:
Thanks for the recommendation Tom. If you don't mind me asking, where did you purchase it? I was considering ordering directly from Hanna via my business if necessary. And what sort of costs are associated with these testers and the one you specifically have?

Thanks,

Jay

I bought it years ago and can't remember where. I use it primarily for my hydroponic vegetable garden and originally bought it through a garden supply outlet. Look there (garden supply) before you buy, as you may find it MUCH less expensive than buying though fish places.

Tom

Iris

Hi all,

I remember someone, I thought on this forum, telling me that they've used Hanna Instruments brand testers. Does anyone else here use ph and/or TDS electronic testers? If so, how do you find them helpful? I'm trying to decide on whether I want to purchase one or two of these testers, as I'd like to know the exact measurments in my dwarf tanks. Any feedback would be welcome.

See the following links:

http://www.hannacan.com/fiches_techniques/HI98300.pdf
http://www.hannacan.com/fiches_techniques/HI98106.pdf

Thanks,

Jay
I'm using an FJD refractometer, which I think is more accurate and gets results in 2 seconds.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I use a Hanna meter mainly to get a general idea of the conductivity values in my tanks. Since the value will vary hour-to-hour, do not expect to get exact measurements. Also true for pH values in soft water. Refractometers are not useful for determining electrical conductivity, which is more useful than TDS measurements when breeding soft water fish.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….