• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tankmates for A. Agassizii

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If it were me and only want a community/display tank, then I would only keep a pretty male but never a pair. Have you considered 2 different kinds of dwarf cichlids instead? What I mean is 1 male apisto and 1 dwarf acara or Bolivian ram. In nature they tend to occupy different biotopes, it even happens in a properly decorated aquarium.

MacZ

i thought i couldn't have 2 male cichlids in a tank this size, even if they are different species
You can't with females without females they are less vicious but you would want the species to be significantly different.
It depends highly on the species. 1 Apisto and 1 Nannacara, Laetacara, Mikrogeophagus or Dicrossus is technically possible, still requires a good eye for the behaviour to see problems early on, a sufficiently decorated and sized tank... In this tank size I'd have still quite the bellyache trying. Not that I hadn't considered adding some other dwarf cichlid to my Dicrossus for a brief moment last year, but I found the odds against it somehow.

anewbie

I think you could safely keep a pair of macmasteri; they tend to be a bit less aggressive though they are a larger fish. Of course with your water condition you could keep something more interesting but macmasteri are readily available and a good first fish.

MacZ

Spacewise - yes.
Wild type or domestic? Domestic might not be doing well in your water as it might be too soft. Wild type should be ok with it. More of a clearwater species and domestic ones are bred in tap.

ApistoCommunity

I've just received an stocklist from my lfs, i'll list the current stock below:
apistogramma ortegai (one female left)
apistogramma hongsloi
apistogramma macmasteri
apistogramma agassizii - super red and double red
apistogramma baenschi
apistogramma panduro
apistogramma diplotaenia
apistogramma viejita (wild caught)
apistogramma eremnopyge (wild caught)
I'm torn between macmasteri, diplotaenia and ortegai

anewbie

I've just received an stocklist from my lfs, i'll list the current stock below:
apistogramma ortegai (one female left)
apistogramma hongsloi
apistogramma macmasteri
apistogramma agassizii - super red and double red
apistogramma baenschi
apistogramma panduro
apistogramma diplotaenia
apistogramma viejita (wild caught)
apistogramma eremnopyge (wild caught)
I'm torn between macmasteri, diplotaenia and ortegai
ortegai are pretty aggressive and i'm not sure i would start with them. Don't know anything about diplotaenia.

MacZ

A. diplotaenia and A. ortegai would do well in the water parameters, even though tankbred. One can expect the A. macmasteri and A. hongsloi to be domestic breeds, wouldn't go there.
The aggression level of A. ortegai is manageable, if it's a single male there is nothing to worry.

I personally would lean towards A. diplotaenia.

ApistoCommunity

I went down today but they had sold out of my top choices, however they had a few male A. Panduro left and after finding out they were f1 i couldn't resist. I'll post pictures once he is settled, very pretty little fish only about an inch long right now.

anewbie

Only keep 1 male if you add a female; they are more or less pair forming - some say it can be difficult to find a pair; the ones i purchased were already a pair and got along great (no m/f violence).

ApistoCommunity

Only keep 1 male if you add a female; they are more or less pair forming - some say it can be difficult to find a pair; the ones i purchased were already a pair and got along great (no m/f violence).
i will only be having a single male and my school of pencilfish, im not willing to take the risk of finding a female that will pair when i dont have a plan for any rejected females.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….