• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Take or not take the fry out!

Saulo

So, here is my dilemma
I finally got a successful spawn of Macmasteri and I have about 15 fry - 3 weeks old.
They are well cared by the parents which have initiated again another spawn.
Unfortunately I don't have another tank to move the fry, would be of any risk to let the fry stay any longer in the same tank as the parents? Would they eventually be eaten?
What would you suggest?
Thanks

rasmusW

5 Year Member
first, congrats on the spawn.
i myself is just a mere padawan in breeding apistos, but here's my experience.
i have a a. baenschi couple in a 75 liter tank, which breeds regularly. they currently hold 2 spawns. oldest spawn is around 5mm the other is just about 1-2mm..
so i guess if the tank is large enough and well decorated for old ones to hide, then i would just leave them in the tank.
you could ofcause see some of the old fry trying to snack on the new ones, like mine did one morning (luckily it was too big a mouthful), but on the other hand, i guess, it can have fatal consequences for this small fish to be introduced to new water or squashed by the catching net...

just my 2 cents...

-r

Saulo

lol. yeap! I am avoiding on getting there (TBA). I have only 5 tanks at the moment ;P
I am setting up a rack for my tanks and will be adding more tanks in the future but can't do it now as I need a better water management system and electricity installed on the basement.
My tank is a 10G planted tank with a good amount of hiding places. So, up to now all has settle in ok. I am wondering if parents have the tendency of eating their offspring.
Thx

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I definitely would be concerned for the safety of older fry in a 10 gallon tank with breeding apistos. My experience with macs (back in the stone age) was they were not particularly aggressive with fish that stayed away from young fry, but in a 10 I think they would try to drive older fry farther away than can be possible in such a small tank. They might not eat them, but they probably will kill them if they catch them.

Saulo

I see. The new spawn didn't happen after all.
Although I see that 1/3 of the fry are still alive. 5 are still under the female care and scavenging the soil for food. I am providing them with powder and also microworms (my resources are limited). I am hoping to have them to mature!
On a second tank I now have a large spawn of App. Panduro. 3 days old.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….