• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

taeniatus colour variation?

chilligirl

5 Year Member
the salt conversations are very interesting. I think, for me, I'm going to continue salting, just because I've always done it in the past, and it's never seemed to hurt.

I know you have dismissed the possibility, but for the record, those symptoms all fit ammonia poisoning. There are admittedly other poisons which irritate the skin, gives brownish blood (purple gills) and produce colorful corpses, e.g. formalin, but offhand I can't think of a single parasite which does. The quick-killing columnaris strains, for instance, do not.

I hear what you're saying, but I've tested my water again. I've done repeated water changes. Over and over, I'm getting the same readings, with two different test kits, of two different brands. There's no reason for there to be ammonia. I don't overfeed, my tank is cycled, there's nothing dead hiding in my tank. Further, if I had ammonia in the tank, all of the fish should be acting sick/stressed at the same time, not one after the other. My tiny little koi angel, who's body is the size of a quarter, should be showing major stress if my water params are off, as she/he isn't exactly a hardy fish, yet it's fine. My glowlights should have dropped off first, yet they didn't - I lost one, suddenly, but the others all look just fine.

What I find interesting is that, with the exception of the one glowlight, all losses have been the dwarf cichlids. Granted, my male platy was affected, but seems to now be fully recovered, and one of my loaches is affected, but it's definitely hit the dwarf cichlids hardest. My nannacara are battling it right now, but still eating and hanging in there.

I've resigned myself to finishing this course of meds, keeping up water changes, and letting what will be, be. I'm not going to go spend a fortune on a bunch of different meds, trying to diagnose and cure something that seems to baffle everyone, including me. Hopefully some fish will survive - I'm optomistic that my Angels, platys, and pleco will. Then, I'll keep up the water changes, and quarantine my tank for a couple months, before gradually trying to restock (using my QT tank this time, now that I've replaced the heater!).

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frankephex

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….