• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

jessfsands

Hey there everyone.

About a month ago I purchased two young apistogramma cacatuoides from a LFS. I was told that the larger, more colorful one was the male and the smaller one with the yellow belly was the female.

Now, I’m beginning to question if this is true. I believe I may have two males. When they are in the same proximity, they flare their gills and kind of have a stand-off between one another. The larger, more dominant one will occasionally whip his tail at the other. Then the larger one proceeds to chase the other away.

I’ve attached pictures of both apistos. The larger one is the one that has higher dorsal spines. The smaller one is darker in color. If anyone shows me how to post a video, I have one that shows the behavior I was referring to.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 7673D161-CF40-4AB6-96A0-F4F35F6D0644.jpeg
    7673D161-CF40-4AB6-96A0-F4F35F6D0644.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 138
  • 20797FC8-6CAE-4D64-A5BE-CA625FE57854.jpeg
    20797FC8-6CAE-4D64-A5BE-CA625FE57854.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 133

Fish4Life

Imo both are males but I have seen some flashy females , still not to that extent, And most likely the flaring is to size each other up ending in the smaller/weaker one turning tail and run.
Hope this helps a bit!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….