• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Storing frozen foods once defrosted?

davidjp1982

Donating Member
Wasn't sure where to post this and seems such a newbie esque query i thought i would drop it in here!

What's the general consensus on storing frozen foods such as daphnia, bloodworm and tubifex once defrosted?

I always cut the blocks down before defrosting (especially tubifex as those blocks are a tardis of disgusting wormy threads...) however I always seem to be wasting a lot of defrosted food down the drain as a result of being careful not to burst my fish.

I'e tried storing bloodworms in the fridge once defrosted but these tend to go a nasty brown colour and I've binned them after a day - I haven't tried tubifex or daphnia yet but wondered if their is any nutritional value to this food once it has been harvested, frozen, defrosted and and then stored in a fridge?

regani

5 Year Member
Defrost smaller portions? Once the stuff is thawed it starts to go off quickly. Alternatively you could try to get them into something like a nice cube tray and freeze again for later use, maybe?

wethumbs

5 Year Member
Repashy once made would go bad in couple weeks even when keep in refrigeration.

davidjp1982

Donating Member
Thanks for the replies - my sort of compromise has been to feed very small amounts over a day or so when i know i am at home - storing the rest in the fridge between feeds - saves overfeeding and I feel less wasteful throwing excess away and so am not tempted to chuck the leftovers in when feeding.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
h1ns

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….