• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Stocking and Compatibility Questions on new 58 Gallon Biotype

Msoar16

Well I am putting together a planted SA Biotype 58 Gallon (36x18x21) and am looking for some suggestions on some fish I would like to incorporate to see what you all think about compatibility and overall stocking.

4 - Angels, down to 2 when they pair off
2 differnt groups of 3 or 4 - Apisto cacatuoides, agazaissi, or borelli
pair or group of GBR or Bolivians if I cant mix the Apsitos
10-20 cardnial Tetra
2 - BNP
6 -= Panda Cories

Tank will be well planted, driftwood and rocks. Please let me know your thoughts and glad to be a new member of the forum

henkh

5 Year Member
About the Angels: They are group fish and they need a group to feel good. Out of the group pairs will form. But for this size tank i would skip this species. They need height and lots of room. Maybe better a couple of Mesonauta?
About 2 groups of Apisto's: i think that will be difficult. Better is the alternative you suggest, 1 group of Apisto's and a group of Bolivian Ram's.
BNP: i don't know what you mean with this abrev.....
Panda's: why not more than this number? Take 15 or so. Nice fish for a large group.

briztoon

5 Year Member
I am not sure I would stock 15 cories in a 3 foot community tank. I do agree with henkh about the Angels and the apistos.

If you have a fine sand substrate, both the apistos and Bolivian rams will sift all day long. I would maybe do two pairs of Bolivian rams and a pair or trio of Borellii.

Msoar16

Thanks for the input, guess the angles are out but still would like to find something colorful to occupy the upper portion of the tank. I won't be doing more that 8 cories so no worries on that front. Any reason Borelli are suggested vs the other 2 apastos?

tompoz

Borellii are peaceful while cacatuoides and agasizzii are not. Currently I have 1+2 agasizzii and 1+2 ramirezi in a 48x17x17 tank - agasizzii females took over left and right end of the tank while male constantly patrols in between. Ramirezi either sit in plants or are chased when they peek out. Cacatuoides could be even worse, I believe

Either stick to a group (1+2/3 for your tank) of one species like cacatuoides / agasizzii or go for a pair of Bolivians with 1+2 of borellii.

And forget that apistos will occupy upper portion of the tank, it will be the opposite. For the upper part get some tetras or hatchetfish.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
... still would like to find something colorful to occupy the upper portion of the tank

The community tank you envision is a bit small in area for larger fish like angels. They will eventually dominate the other community members. Instead, I would suggest a nice school (8-12) of a medium (~3"/7.5cm) size schooling tetra like Bleeding Heart Tetras. For bottom fish you need to decide what you want: territorial interplay among cichlids or a more busy but peaceful community. Obviously, apistos will breed in either, but few fry/eggs will survive in a community tank. If you want a show tank and not really interested in breeding fish in it, then I would suggest a small school of corys and only a pair/trio of dwarf cichlids to round it out. A small BMP species probably would be OK, too, but several Otocinclus seem to be less destructive in a planted tank.

Msoar16

Well Mike I seem to want a bit of everything, but this is definately a show tank before anything else. My main goal is to loosely represent the SA Biotype and provide a tank full of color and movement. I really would like to try Apisto and Rams together, hoping for some territorial interplay but not having an all out war. So here is what I am thinking about now:

1.2 A. cacatuoides or borellii
4 Bolivians
10-20 Cardinal Tetra
8 Bleeding Heart Tetra
6 Panda Cory
2 BMP

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It might work. If it were me, I would find 2 males of an apisto species (they don't need females to survive), 2 Bolivian Rams or better 2 dwarf acaras (Laetacara spp.), and the other species. You need to remember that the rams and apistos are dwarf cichlids. They behave and become territorial just like their larger cichlids brethren.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
They aren't any better than Rams. It's just that I like them better! ;-) Yes Laetacara spp. aren't seen as often, but they aren't rare either. Look for curviceps. They'll likely be L. dorsigera, but both are nice fish.

Msoar16

I will look for a double red and orange flash male and add the curviceps pair with the others. Are any if these available at the colorado aquarium society auction? Will the apisto males still display color to each other or are females needed?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
One never knows what will be available. The last CAS auction had some Double Red cacatuoides. I haven't had any curviceps in the auction for about 3 years. Now that my breeding pair is fairly old (5 years), they haven't been interested in breeding for a while. Male apistos will display to each other; they don't need females.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….