• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Stocking 45 gallon

ZanaZoola14

Hello, I've managed to source a 45-gallon tank to be the final tank on my breeding rack (others are 35, so this is the bottom tank). I wasn't originally aiming for a tank like this; however, I came across this tank with tight-fitting lid and working lights for a low price and grabbed it while I could.

The intention of this breeding rack is for one tank to be apistos and one tank to be rams. They're 35 gallons each; I have plenty of grow-out tanks as well as these tanks will be divided as well.

The original intention, back when I thought I was getting a 30 or 35-gallon, was shell dwellers. I am still interested in this, but with it being a larger tank, I am curious about what else would be possible within this tank.

I currently have a 30-gallon long nano community, a 10-gallon block Black Tiger Dario/Badis tank, an 80-gallon high live-bearer pond with additional shrimp, various danios and wcm/gwcm. I also have a 40-gallon long with an axolotl called Fish, Son of Odin. (I also have tanks that have a breeding quad of lemon bristlenoses + two younger and a young quad of super reds.)
So I'm interested in something different to what you'd find in a "common" lfs. I have also got another 45-gallon that is cracked, cracked during transport, that I will be turning into a crab tank using a spare 30ltr to be the water container.

Measurements:
Inches - 39x15.5x17.9
cm - 99x39x45

My tap is hard water, about 10-12dgh, but it seems to be getting harder with a recent test coming out at 16dgh. However, I also use RO for my soft water community and the apisto and ram breeding tanks. These are RO with discus minerals to ensure the minerals are at a better reading. I will be transfering over to almost be using RO for all my tanks, and getting a hma unit with nitrate remover for my larger systems like the livebearer and larger pond.

Part of the reason I moved onto RO was that my water supplier has likely changed one of the chemicals involved, and the nitrate also increased from under 5 to over 50. I lost all my dwarf cichlids and many of my tanks after doing some tap water changes (conditioned).

I am curious as to what others would do in a tank this size and dimensions. It also has a nice fitted lid, my only tank that has a nice fitting lid. I am interested in trying larger fish; I never really got the opportunity to with the size tanks I have.

I want to try something new, something that I have not done before. And for that, I am not sure.
I could always do the shell dwellers, possibly with some Julies, and make it a colourful semi-aggressive community. Or something else. (I don't mind doing species-only tanks).

Open to any ideas.

(And if anyone has a preference in ram or apistogramma, please feel free to say, still not 100% on which to do and want to get a feel for what people like. Thinking maybe a form of lf gbrs, and either cacatuoides or elizabethae might do multiple different due to the dividers.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….