• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Springtails in worm culture

Jakeybaby

I recent got a white worm culture and split it out to two containers, the worms are doing well but the springtail population within the containers has also exploded, I'm guessing I probably over feed the containers to start with for this to happen, but I'm wanting to know if there is anyway to lower/remove the springtail population within the worm culture without doing damage to the worm.numbers at the same time?

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
If you're growing the worms on scrubbing pads, you could flood the pads and the springtails should float to the top. If you have them in soil, I don't think you can get them all out. You could harvest, like Mac said. Put some dry leaves on top and remove them when the congregate. You can do this repeatedly to lower the population, but I imagine they will continue to reproduce.

Jakeybaby

If you're growing the worms on scrubbing pads, you could flood the pads and the springtails should float to the top. If you have them in soil, I don't think you can get them all out. You could harvest, like Mac said. Put some dry leaves on top and remove them when the congregate. You can do this repeatedly to lower the population, but I imagine they will continue to reproduce.
Yea it's soil I've got them in, so guess they are here to stay haha, will try a few different methods of harvesting then and see how I go that way, i guess extra live food options can't be a bad thing, as long as the worms don't get to over run etc.Thank you for the reply.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….