• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

spawned in hardwater

uberape

my wild cacas have spawned in hard water- ph 7.6, hardness 268 ppm. not a huge batch but I cant really see them at the moment. For me this makes a lot of the online profiles misleading.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
my wild cacas have spawned in hard water- ph 7.6, hardness 268 ppm. not a huge batch but I cant really see them at the moment. For me this makes a lot of the online profiles misleading.
I think a lot of it is misleading for A. cacatuoides. My suspicion is that it is just generic Apistogramma advice that gets copied from site to site. Your parameters actually aren't far different from the water in some of the collection sites.
In Linke and Staeck "American Cichlids 1: Dwarf Cichlids" it has water parameters for their collecting site of wild A. cacatuoides.

"...Location: Lagoon Aquajal, E. side of the Rio Ucayali, 10 km S of Chicosa, Peru.
pH: 7.6
Total hardness: 12 dH
Carbonate Hardness: 14 dH
Conductivity: 387 microS at 27oC
Temp.: 27oC...
"

I sold some domestic "Double Red" juveniles to a local keeper and they subsequently spawned in our tap water which is pretty good quality, but straight from a limestone aquifer, 17dKH and about 650 microS,
<http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/apistogramma-cacatuoides-ro-water.10475/>.

cheers Darrel

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
... online profiles misleading.

Do you take everything on line as true?? Any idiot can write something on line. If you had read Linke & Staeck, as Darrel did, you would know that A. cacatuoides - and many other apisto species that live in whitewater conditions - can live and breed at higher pH and hardness valudes. I always go with published information (books/periodicals) first. At least it has more editorial integrity behind the content.

skoram

They need to publish Kindle versions of these books. I'd love to purchase a copy but I don't want to pay $30 to ship 1 book to Korea ...

uberape

I did in fact go from Linke & Staeck, I have the book MIKE, but it was that source verses a multitude of opposite information. Everybody from store owners to breeders and every single online profile I read was opposite. It was the page by Martin and Tom which threw me into doubt http://apisto.sites.no/fish.aspx?fishIndexID=2404&gruppeID=1 the information out there is confusing thats all, I know that they can come from two different areas but I sort of get the impression that breeding in hardwater is an exception and they wont 'thrive'. I just wanted to say that my wild cacas spawned had a large brood and all is hunky dory.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Maybe I'm biased because Tom is a good friend, but I find information on his site pretty accurate. Some of the others are, well ... sometimes make me cringe.

I think most people just accept that all apistos come from soft water and need it to successfully reproduce. Anyone who's seen my program on breeding apistos knows different. There are 300+ apisto species that come from many different biotopes with different water chemistry. It should be obvious that, although breeding is similar in all, water values needed will vary.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….