• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

South American Dwarfs - environment height

MarkPT

ON average for German Rams/ Apisto's, what do people find is the optimal or used environment height?

I currently have a 1 metre length tank with about 5 bits of 'good' bogwood, roughly 4inches high - each has 'cave' like or bridging areas with plenty of plants around.

Was thinking about stacking some more on top to create second level almost, and additional crevices and caves .... would these get used or do these fish realistically just use substrate level?

Have 2 female Rams and 2 male apisto's so just further trying to break it up and give cover to all, but not sure if they'll go that high/use?!

MarkPT

Thanks - yeah I've seem them swim 'above' the current bogwood line, so was just wondering whether it's worth 'layering' any more on top for additional 'hideouts' and crevices/caves etc?

Can I ask for your opinion on my setup above please Mike?

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Thanks - yeah I've seem them swim 'above' the current bogwood line, so was just wondering whether it's worth 'layering' any more on top for additional 'hideouts' and crevices/caves etc? Can I ask for your opinion on my setup above please Mike?
You can create much more complex layouts with layered bog wood, particularly if it's "branchy", and the cichlids will then make use of the higher levels of the tank. I also always have floating plants, and these are also utilised by the fish (especially juveniles).

This is the tank I use as a quarantine tank/unexpected fish/plant storage tank. At this point it had spare Copella arnoldi and Apistogramma agassizii grow outs in it. The whole tank was like this, there weren't any large open spaces.

copella_arnoldi1_zps297ebb6f-jpg.20950
Can I ask for your opinion on my setup above please Mike?
I'm not sure what Mike will say, but I'd like lots more plants and cover (these are Dicrossus maculatus).

dicrossus_clup1_resize-1-jpg.41359

From above
top_view-jpg.41358

I don't mind if I can't see the fish, I'm going to work on the theory that if they have a good diet and a good environment they are going to get on all right.

I should also say that in all three of these cases within a year of taking the photo's I'd lost all these fish (the Dicrossus bloated, Copella fell victim to a heater malfunction and all the Apistogramma fry turned out to be males).

cheers Darrel

MarkPT

Hi all,You can create much more complex layouts with layered bog wood, particularly if it's "branchy", and the cichlids will then make use of the higher levels of the tank. I also always have floating plants, and these are also utilised by the fish (especially juveniles).

This is the tank I use as a quarantine tank/unexpected fish/plant storage tank. At this point it had spare Copella arnoldi and Apistogramma agassizii grow outs in it. The whole tank was like this, there weren't any large open spaces.

copella_arnoldi1_zps297ebb6f-jpg.20950
I'm not sure what Mike will say, but I'd like lots more plants and cover (these are Dicrossus maculatus).

dicrossus_clup1_resize-1-jpg.41359

From above
top_view-jpg.41358

I don't mind if I can't see the fish, I'm going to work on the theory that if they have a good diet and a good environment they are going to get on all right.

I should also say that in all three of these cases within a year of taking the photo's I'd lost all these fish (the Dicrossus bloated, Copella fell victim to a heater malfunction and all the Apistogramma fry turned out to be males).

cheers Darrel
Thanks Darrel - appreciate that!
Yes I've got almond leaves on way, and the planted tank is still quite young, so lots to grow out!
Since the post I've got some more bogwood and added Java Moss too , so should have a LOT of closed spaces, so I think things will go well ...... thanks again for your time, I appreciate it!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I don't have any community tanks at the moment, only breeding tanks. My tanks are much darker with few plants (mostly Java Moss and a thick layer of Salvinia at the top). Structural boundaries vary with the species, but fairly open so I can see if the fish are behaving themselves. This is one of my 20L breeding tanks for a pair/trio of A. sp. (aff. luelingi) Cristal.
upload_2018-9-27_9-51-1.png

This is one of my 20H grow-out tanks. Believe it or not there are about 15, 1"/2.5cm Cristals in it.
upload_2018-9-27_9-58-9.png

Not pretty, but functional.

As for a layered bottom, all I can suggest is that you try it and let us know how it works.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….