• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

South American Biotope (Planning)

Claire M.

Hi

Recently I bought a couple of Apistogramma Bitaeniata ''Shishita'', wish a fell in love of, since then I'm planning a new tank more a Biotope one ...

Currently I have a Tank of 96L (80x30x40) but I'm undecided on selling it and going for a 180l (90x45x45)

I' would appreciate your opinions, this tank would be exclusively thinking on the fish well being and thinking in their natural habitat ... Thinking on going for Ada's La Plata Sand , Black waters, some wood, almond leaves and maybe RO water as I'm planning on wild specimens...

Setup:
Aqua size :96L 80x30x40 or 180L 90x45x45
External Filter: JBL 901 GreenLine
Heating: Jagger 200W
Light: Hailea 2x 39W T5 6500k, 4200k

Hardscape:
Gravel: La Plata Sand 8L or 16L thinking on a fine layer maybe of 1-2cm tops
2/3 Red Moor Branches
Almond Leaves

Fish:
Apistogramma Eremnopyge or Hongsloi still planning
Nannostomus Beckfordi
Otocinclus Affinis

Plants:
Silvania Natans for some nutrient uptake, and give a darker look to the layout, some input here would be nice...

I'm new to this kind of tank, till now I only have heavily Planted Tank's which I love but not so appropriated for this kind of fish... (Lots of Light, ferts, and Co2)

All the help and info on this species Biotopes would be very welcome, and a great help on this phase of planning. Looking for some underwater photos or videos from the wild to look for some kind of inspiration and understanding the needs of this fish ...

I have as inpiration George Farmer Nanay Biotope Tank but with some other ideas.

Let you guys with a video

For now this is an idea that I need to study, to make it as pleasant to me as for it's future inhabitants

Waiting for your opinions, and help on this one :)

Claire M.

lurch1000

Just a note on the Otos, O.affinis prefers sub 25C, if you're going to run the tank warmer, perhaps consider O.vestitus?

Looking forward to the progress of your set up.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Nannostomus Beckfordi
Is a bit of a fry predator. All the other Pencil fish are all right.

Most Tetras are fry predators, but I used Black Neon Tetra (H. herbertaxelrodi) as dithers, and they are fine.

cheers Darrel

Claire M.

Hi,

Tanks for the advice, i want to put school of fish from the sames biotope

Yesterday i searched for same biotope Tetras but with no success...

What do you recommend?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If you truly want a biotope tank, one that matches the biotope of the Río Shishita, then look at: http://apisto.sites.no/page.aspx?PageId=64. TomC & I collected on the Shishita in 2008. We found no Otocinclus. The only characiforms worth keeping with apistos were dwarf pencil fish (N. marginatus) and a tiny red tetra that the native collectors called "Picaflor" or "Colibri".

Claire M.

Tanks Mike, i know this blog, a wonderful trip!

N. Marginatus will be a good choice, i think.
See if I can get some at my local fish store.

Regards

Claire M.

Claire M.

Hi

the new tank is here 90x45x45
I think it's a beautiful size :D

img1865nv.jpg

I need to clean it and put the black background.

I've chosen the sand, it will be ADA Colorado Sand
The La Plata was to bright, it was gonna be difficult to keep it clean.

19834975.jpg
transferiruo.jpg

I planing on mounting it on Sunday, will be using water from the bigger tank and using a part of the biological media from it to cycle this tank. because the fish are ordered and waiting for the tank to mature.
I will also use black peat to lower water parameters.

As a heating device will be using TMC - V2THERM DIGITAL 200W.

I talked with my supplier and maybe he can get me some N. Marginatus.

For now it's all

Claire M.

Claire M.

Hi,

Little news for now, I've put a black background, and bought the Colorado Sand,
Now for a little help... I've got a JBL 1501gl cycled on my 300L tank, which one do you think suits best for this tank ? The 1501 or the 901?
I'm waiting for the 901 that had a problem on the head, wen it arrives it will have to by cycled, or use some bio-material from one of my 1501 filters, as I'm in a bit of worry because I already ordered a couple of Eremnopyge Apistos, that are on the store waiting to come. will the 1501 be to much for this tank ?

I've never made a so quick cycle for any of my tanks and I'm afraid that using the cycled filter or bio-materials from it and water from the stabilized tank isn't enough, but this substrate is inert i'm accustomed on using Aquasoils that releases a lot ammonia on the first times, with a long cycling period . Being just sand how many days do you think i will have to wait before I can get the fish home ? I will use some Èquo - Bacteria to help on any kind of ammonia or nitrate spikes...

Also my tap water has 7.2PH , 5dGH, 5dKH, i'm planning on dropping this values for a PH of 5,8-6, and dKH and dGH to 1-2 do you recommend using black peat for this end ? I've already bought some but not sure on how much to use

I leave you with a photo from the current state of the tank

IMG_2023_zps40f5dcf1.jpg

Regards, Claire M.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
5 Year Member
Mesmerized by the tank in the video from the original post!

Looks like your project is coming along nicely! Looking forward to see how it progresses!

davidjp1982

Donating Member
Very jealous of your new tank - a biotope is next on my to do list - look forward to seeing your updates.

lurch1000

I just can't bring myself to have anything that isn't South American, flora or fauna. Got offered a load of Asian and Indian plants earlier and turned them down. I must be mad. Free as well.

lurch1000

Perhaps some Pistia or Limnobium as a floating plant? Echinodorus uruguayensus (however you spell it) as a focal point would be a potential idea, think I'd consider it if I had your tank. I guess as with anything, take the time to choose now and get the enjoyment later.

Claire M.

Without a doubt Limnobium will be in this tank , I think i won't be using echinodorus , it takes the attention off the driftwood that I want it to be to focal point of the tank. And as I'll be using just a thin layer of sand echinodorus wont have enough sand to spread their roots...
I appreciate your opinion

Thanks

Claire M.

morris

Hi Claire M,

Very nice size tank, is it Starfire glass?

We have set up a 1200L planted tank over the weekend using ADA's Colorado Sand and AS, and it is a very nice colour indeed

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apistokeeper

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….