• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Snail Problem

HookedOnFish_MI

What began as 1 or 2 snails likely brought in through plants is now turning into way more than I’d like in my 75 gallon. Anyone have any tips on how to get rid of them? I don’t mind a few snails here and there but I fear before long they’ll be literally everywhere. You can see a pic of just one spot below on the glass, leaf and wood.
29E389EC-F07B-49C8-A284-1F1AC2F1EFAB.jpeg

MacZ

Collect them whereever you can see them and whenever you see them. Start now, it might take a few weeks, but only that way you can get that done. Normally snail population explosions come from overfeeding. I totally forgot to ask if there are snails in your tank before you added the leaves. They have a lot of food now. But it can be controlled if you start to manage the population right now.

HookedOnFish_MI

Collect them whereever you can see them and whenever you see them. Start now, it might take a few weeks, but only that way you can get that done. Normally snail population explosions come from overfeeding. I totally forgot to ask if there are snails in your tank before you added the leaves. They have a lot of food now. But it can be controlled if you start to manage the population right now.
Thanks, I will do that. Did the same in my 15 a while back and solved the problem. There weren’t as many though.

I did have some snails before the leaves were added, but nothing like the population today.

MacZ

Yeah, in blackwater the problem would solve itself, as it's too acidic for snails, but here you have to react switfly, otherwise the leaf litter makes the snail population get out of hand.
After bringing them to a certain population you might want to add a few assassin snails to keep them under control. Though those may also reproduce.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….