• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

smallest breed ?

sen_jie

5 Year Member
hi guys. erm i am new over here. and i would like to ask for ur advise on apistogramma.. mayb i know wat is the smallest breed of apisto around?

and is it possble to breed any apisto in a tank of dimension of 400mmx230mmx250mm?

mervin

5 Year Member
hello there,
nice to see u here.

breeding them in such a small tank just might be possible depending on their type and size.

i have had sucess wth Tris and Wilhemis in those 5Plan types tanks, S size, which is only 11 litres.

fishboy20

5 Year Member
I believe that size is comparable to a ten gallon like those found here in the states. I have bred most Apistos in a ten before. Some of the species do require more room however. A. borelli comes to mind as being the smallest, easiest, most available small apisto.

ARWoodi

5 Year Member
I beg to differ, but borelli arent the smallest apisto around. my borelli lived and reach to a maximum size of 3 inch compared to a.diplotaenia and trisfaciata.

sen_jie

5 Year Member
hum.. so a tri is still advisable?

but i have been looking around at those fish shop in singapore and realise their colour is not tat stunning as compared to bit. plz comment.

thanx :) :D

sen_jie

5 Year Member
mervin said:
hello there,
nice to see u here.

breeding them in such a small tank just might be possible depending on their type and size.

i have had sucess wth Tris and Wilhemis in those 5Plan types tanks, S size, which is only 11 litres.

hi there u are the same mevin in petfrd?

k currently i hav the 11litre tank ready with quite heavily planted and driftwood for that amazonic biotope effect. currently having ADA soil and a small internal filter. anything else to get?

erm.. the tank is in sch (as part of sch project) thus can;t get ur a pic of the set up.

u know anywhere near bukit mearh got sell nice but yet cheap tri? coz sch only sponser $20

mervin

5 Year Member
hello there,
The only place i know near B.Merah that has apistos is Biotope but i believe u know their prices.

i do have a pair of juv tri if u are interested, PM me in Petfrd.

however i do not encourage such a small tank for breeding.

mine spawned in such small tanks b'cos i was just holding them there till their tanks were ready.

sen_jie

5 Year Member
mervin said:
hello there,
The only place i know near B.Merah that has apistos is Biotope but i believe u know their prices.

i do have a pair of juv tri if u are interested, PM me in Petfrd.

however i do not encourage such a small tank for breeding.

mine spawned in such small tanks b'cos i was just holding them there till their tanks were ready.

ya i know their price.. but their quality also ok hor.. pay for quality i guess..

aiya.. i can't get bigger tank liao.. tat is the biggest i can go...

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
sen_jie,

Your tank is a bit larger than the standard 5½ gallon tank here in the USA. Several smaller apistos can be bred in such tanks. With experience even some of the larger species can be bred. The trick is to recognize aggression and keep it from happening. I once had a pair of A. steindachneri breed & raise fry in this size tank (unplanned, but it happened) together with 8 Red Platys (Xiphophorus maculatus). The male was almost 4"/10 cm long & the female was over 3"! It took a lot of water changes, but after 2 weeks there were still over 100 fry in the tank. Here are some of the fish that I would recommend for your smaller tank: A. borellii, A. geisleri (Smaragd/Emerald color morph), A. resticulosa/taeniata forms including A. sp. Cheek-spots/Wangenflecken, A. caetei forms, A. sp. Araguaia, A. iniridae (if the pair has bonded), A. staecki, A. inornata. I also can recommend the smallest apisto - A. sp. Courting-spot/Balzfleck - that reaches a maximum length of 1½"/3.5 cm.

sen_jie

5 Year Member
Mike Wise said:
sen_jie,

Your tank is a bit larger than the standard 5½ gallon tank here in the USA. Several smaller apistos can be bred in such tanks. With experience even some of the larger species can be bred. The trick is to recognize aggression and keep it from happening. I once had a pair of A. steindachneri breed & raise fry in this size tank (unplanned, but it happened) together with 8 Red Platys (Xiphophorus maculatus). The male was almost 4"/10 cm long & the female was over 3"! It took a lot of water changes, but after 2 weeks there were still over 100 fry in the tank. Here are some of the fish that I would recommend for your smaller tank: A. borellii, A. geisleri (Smaragd/Emerald color morph), A. resticulosa/taeniata forms including A. sp. Cheek-spots/Wangenflecken, A. caetei forms, A. sp. Araguaia, A. iniridae (if the pair has bonded), A. staecki, A. inornata. I also can recommend the smallest apisto - A. sp. Courting-spot/Balzfleck - that reaches a maximum length of 1½"/3.5 cm.

wow.. wat is a sp. spot balzfleck? got pics? i dun seems to be able to find the pics.. i was wondering if it can be found in singapore.

how often do u change ur fish water? how many % change?

plz advise thanx.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Check out the following site: http://www.aquanet.de/beitraege/fachbeitrag.20031022184709278.asp (it's in German but shows photos of this little apisto. It doesn't look like much but it makes up for this by its size & unusual breeding behavior. The sex roles are reversed when it comes to courting. In this species it is the male, not the female, who initiates the breeding. The female is acually slightly larger (more robust) than the male. Although it is from the Rio Negro, it is not hard to breed in slightly acid & moderately soft water. Fry are the typical size for apistos, but there are fewer per spawn. I strongly suggest that if you get this species that you buy at least 6 since the females can be choosy about their mates (not uncommon among pertensis-group fish). I had them back in 1984. They started coming back into the hobby a couple of years ago.

sen_jie

5 Year Member
thanx mike wise for the advise. great info frm u.

can i ask wat abt candidi?

is it a small fish too?

(sorry, i'm quite long winded.. as i want to get more info before i lay my hands on a pair of fish.)

sen_jie

5 Year Member
Mike Wise said:
T. candidi has an even more aggressive temperment than A. trifasciata. I doubt that more than one specimen could live in a tank your size.

oo thanx for the info. i try to lay my hands on the tri and update ur on the progress

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….