• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Size difference in Macmasteri.

Bruxism

5 Year Member
I have 3 young females in with a older male, the females are around 1.5 to 2 inches in length while the male is around 3.5 inches plus.
All the females seem interested in the male but he doesn't even really notice they're there, could this be a size difference thing or he's just really picky?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Maybe the females aren't mature enough to spawn (unlikely). Maybe they're 'sneaker males' (probably not). How long have they been together? My guess is that something about the tank not to someone's liking. A change of scenery and some patience might be what's needed.

Bruxism

5 Year Member
They have been together about a month now.
20161213_142805.jpg

Any suggestions for tank layout?
The picture is when I first did the setup it have alot more plant cover now

Attachments

• 20161213_142805.jpg
    20161213_142805.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 433

MickeM

5 Year Member
https://imgur.com/gallery/IZVas

You can see the size difference here

Hi Bruxism+all..

Are you sure the "females" are A. macmasteri ??
Can you post some other pics of the females ?? ( It almost looks more like an A. alacrina or another Apisto to me.. but I may be wrong!!)

About your tank layout..
I hope your pumps are running on minimum strength,, or else you will have a constant storm in there..;)
Oxygene will enter the tank via the surface anyway.., so if the tank is not heavily loaded with fishes+food/restproducts it probably will do fine without severe currents..
..here are TomC:s pics from the nature..
http://apisto.sites.no/page.aspx?PageId=52

..and my experience is that you can not have too many plants in a tank.. they help you to maintain good water quality..
If you`re not having any CO2-system, my experience is that you will get 2-3 sort of plants to thrive if you try to buy 6-7 different sorts..!!

Be sure that your nice looking stones/rocks are pH/kH-neutral if you are planning to keep/reach a low pH.. (but I`m not sure the Guppies will like it then..!!??)

/Micke

Last edited:

Bruxism

5 Year Member
My tank isn't usually so well lit either i just turned on the extra lights to get pictures.
I'm running Co2 and ferts. I have made baffles for the filter outlets so reduce current to a minimum.
I have peat in the filters and have almond leaves and some other "leaf litter".

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
To me, none of these new pics show a female .. only Mac-males !!
All males for me as well, but they look really nice and healthy.
I'm running Co2 and ferts. I have made baffles for the filter outlets so reduce current to a minimum. I have peat in the filters and have almond leaves and some other "leaf litter".
The plants look really healthy.

Is that the pH when you have the CO2 on?

The pH reduction when you add CO2 isn't the same as the pH reduction you get in naturally soft water, it doesn't actually change the alkalinity, it just changes the equilibrium value for the CO2 ~ HCO3- ~ pH relationship.

cheers Darrel

Happyfins

Not an expert by any stretch but your "?females" look very different to mine. I wanted to take a pic for comparison but the Tank light is off due to algae protection blackout.
I do like your tank layout though. The centre island look appeals to me.

Bruxism

5 Year Member
Yeah they're males I'm a idiot lol traded them back to the guy I purchased them from for a mated pair of WC macs, now I just need to find a domestic female for my other male which in Canada is going to take awhile.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….