• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sick apisto :(

boyohboy

5 Year Member
I have a trio of apisto in a big tank (not other fish yet). Just the last day or so, the male is looking kinda sick.

His mouth (lips) seems to have a little fungus-like stuffs on it, and/or maybe the lips are just a lil swollen?!
And also start to notice his stomach seems to be bigger than usual. Haven't noticed any worms of any sort yet (touch wood) tho.

How should I treat him?

The 2 females in the same tank are looking fine and eating normally so far.

Thanks

EDIT: oh after seeing the sickness appearing, I just did a ~40% waterchange last nite.... if that helps, I hope

fishgeek

water parameters would be first check, apisto's are more sensitive to nitrogenous waste products
oxygenation maybe reduced with certain by products and larger fish are more susceptible to lower oygen saturations

motuh fungus is actually a bacterial codition and is usually secondary to some other problem- again water quality is a possibilty

is the fish still eating or do you think the belly is large for other reasons
any red streaking on paler parts of the fish's body

which species so we can advise on best water aswell

andrew

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhays79

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….