• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Should i be feeding my A. Pucallpaensis frys ?

anewbie

So it has been about a week since the frys have become free swimming. Every day mom herds them around the tank where i presume they are finding infusoria in the tank since they don't appear to be dying. Should i be feeding them something or let mom do her job ?

Apistoguy52

So it has been about a week since the frys have become free swimming. Every day mom herds them around the tank where i presume they are finding infusoria in the tank since they don't appear to be dying. Should i be feeding them something or let mom do her job ?
Unless the tank is very large, I’d be feeding them bbs. When I spawned this fish, I found them to be large enough to consume bbs on the second day free swimming.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Should i be feeding them something or let mom do her job ?
<"Micro (or Banana) worms"> (Panagrellus sp.) are really <"easy to culture"> and most small fish will eat them. They also elicit the feeding response in fry (by wriggling) and that makes them more likely to eat small dry food items (powdered dry food, decapsulated brine shrimps, freeze dried copepods etc).

I always have a culture going, even when I don't have any fish that will eat them.

cheers Darrel

anewbie

Hi all,

<"Micro (or Banana) worms"> (Panagrellus sp.) are really <"easy to culture"> and most small fish will eat them. They also elicit the feeding response in fry (by wriggling) and that makes them more likely to eat small dry food items (powdered dry food, decapsulated brine shrimps, freeze dried copepods etc).

I always have a culture going, even when I don't have any fish that will eat them.

cheers Darrel
I have a secondary issue that ick seems to have gotten into the tank; the apsito so far seem unaffected but everything else has little white dots (6 embers and 2 small L397). I'm trying to decide if i should treat with hikari ick-x or just wait and see. Worry the med will be too harsh for the frys.
-
Also for now I started a thing of bbs - so i will feed that tomorrow after noon but i'll look into the micro worms.

ianandjess

micro worms are great i keep a couple of cultures overlapping each other so i have a constant supply the easiest live food by far

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomek B.

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….