• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Shimp Compatibility with A.Borellii female

Memeboi

I am wondering, would shimp be compatible with a female A.Borellii, I know that they most definitley are not safe around the male, but is there a chance with the female.

anewbie

Haven't tried shrimp with borelli; but i keep a few dozen with the Apistogrammoides pucallpaensis; they might be getting eaten; but if so they are reproducing faster than they are being eaten... borelli are a bit larger and perhaps a bit more aggressive; though still pretty passive.

Memeboi

Im honestly thinking of using the 10 gallon for a moina culture instead, but I am wondering if I could use a 5 gal bucket for that

ciri3

Generally speaking, keeping shrimp with A. Borellii—male or female—is not advised. The Umbrella Cichlid, or Apistogramma borellii, may be a territorial and aggressive fish that may regard shrimp or other smaller tankmates as possible invaders or prey. Even while they might not be as violent as men, females nevertheless run the danger of hunting and injuring the shrimp. As a more calm tank mate will benefit both the shrimp and the fish, it is safer to maintain shrimp with them.

anewbie

Im honestly thinking of using the 10 gallon for a moina culture instead, but I am wondering if I could use a 5 gal bucket for that
You could use a 5 gal bucket with a decent sponge filter; i've used one for several years for various critters. However I'll never raise baby angels in a 5 gallon pail again - it seems that they need to be able to see what is going on else they get very spooked. Guppies seem to care less which is not surprising.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
h1ns

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….