• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

shell-dwellers

lil-fishy

5 Year Member
I have a 20 gallon aquarium that I would like to put some shell-dwellers in. Any good ideas on which ones? The tank is currently being cycled with the help of some feeder gold-fish. It has Tuffa rock in it and some shells. Please let me know which fish, and how many of each, I could put in this tank. Thanks.

Fogelhund

5 Year Member
To start, a trio of any from...

Lamprologus ocellatus
Lamprologus ornatapinnis
Lamprologus signatus
Lamprologus speciosus "Black Ocellatus"
Lamprologus melegaris
Neolamprologus brevis
Neolamprologus calliurus

or a group of four to six of..

Neolamprologus multifasciatus
Neolamprologus similis

Would all be fine.

Fogelhund

5 Year Member
Well, those fish are very nice, and a pair of them, on their own would be well suited to a 20 gallon. I didn't list them, as you asked for shelldwellers, and neither of those fish are shelldwellers.

The proper name for the Julidochromis is Julidochromis marlieri gombe. You will see it advertised as transcriptus gombi.

lil-fishy

5 Year Member
Thanks, Fogulhund. I like the J. Gombi because they would add some color to the tank. DO you think I could have a pair of those with the multifasciatus? the fish store I go to by me has lamprologus lemairii, mustax, and gombi, and the multifasciatus, and neolamprologus cylindricus. Which of these are shell-dwellers? Do you know which of these would be OK with the gombi's? thanks for your input!!

Fogelhund

5 Year Member
Really, you are going to have a very hard time mixing fish in a 20 Gallon.

The only shelldweller at the store is multifasciatus.

What are the dimensions of your tank?

lil-fishy

5 Year Member
My tank is a 20 high, and it has a lot of hiding spots and rocks. I don't know the exact dimensions. None of those fish get very big, do they? What about only 2 of the gombi and 3 of the multifasciatus? Again, thanks for the input.

lil-fishy

5 Year Member
oh, and are there any dithers (I think that's what they're called - fish that could also go in the tank) that might like hard water with a high PH?

Fogelhund

5 Year Member
Unfortunately, there just isn't enough room in a 24" long tank, for two species of cichilds. The gombe will require at least 18" of floor space, and has known to be quite aggressive towards other fish at times.

Your really going to have to choose one fish species.

Once you have done so, then perhaps we can discuss dithers.

lil-fishy

5 Year Member
Ok, Fogulhund, you have sold me on the Multi's. I was hesitant because a) they are expensive at my LFS, and b) with the light sand and light tuffa rocks and light shells, the light color of the fish could cause them to be lost in the tank. But, if I put a dark background on the tank, I think it would help to draw out the fish. I also like the Juli's because I read in Aquarium Magazine (I think) that they like high PH (my tap water here runs around 7.9). So, now that we have decided a fish as the centerpiece, how many should I get and what dithers could I get?? Thanks again! :D

Fogelhund

5 Year Member
1204a.jpg

1204c.jpg

This is my Neolamprologus brevis tank. The ph in this tank is about 8.0.

I've been running this tank for nearly 4 years now. I started with a trio of brevis, and 8 Cardinal Tetras. I still have 4 Cardinal Tetras left after 4 years. In the last year, I have also added in 8 Serpae Tetras. The brevis don't produce any fry anymore, so the Serpae's were not a concern, but they would eat fry if given the chance.

As far as your ph comment, and the Julidochromis, the natural ph range for Lake Tanganyika runs between 8.6 to 9.2 depending on the location. All Tanganyikan's prefer higher ph, so certainly the Neolamprologus multifasciatus will enjoy your tank, which certainly has an adequate reading.

I would recommend starting with two pairs of multifasciatus. There certainly is no reason why you cannot add plants to such a tank. You have plenty of options on dithers, though stick to fish that shouldn't go after the fry, or those that are too slow.

Smaller Danios, white clouds, some of the smaller Rainbows, or even smaller live bearers would make fine tank mates. If you provide adequate cover, a small school of smaller tetras, or rasboras would work as well. Good Luck.

lil-fishy

5 Year Member
Your tanks look great! Thanks again for the wonderful information. One last question: could I put some madagascar rainbowfish in there? thanks in advance!

xtr-xtr

5 Year Member
Hi
I have a tank of 14 galons (54 liters) with 7 multifasciatus and one pair of brevis. there is no problem, they have distributed the tank and while each one stays in its side everything goes well. Brevis has made two breedings and multifascitus i think too.
here you can see my tank. I have put some anubias and 4 apple snails
I have used coralline gravel to maintain pH surroundings to 8.1.

if you want to see the tank of my ocellatus it is this. These fish I do not recommend to begin by the aggressiveness that show among them and other fish.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….