• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sexing of German Rams

MarkPT

Hi guys

Bought 2 German rams yesterday - there were 4 in the tank, and it appeared (to both myself and LFS worker) that there were 2 males and 2 females .... one male was definitely the dominant one, and the way he was swimming looked like he had paired up with one female, so I went for the other couple, as they'll be part of a community and went for the less boisterous!

I appreciate they might need some settling times for colouring, but currently, to me, they both now look female, and the 'original' male, whilst having a longer 2nd/3rd dorsal fin, a sign of being male, he doesn't have any other of the typical signals?!!!

What are your thoughts, or leave it for a bit to settle and recheck?!!

This one is what I think is the male (you can just make out the longer dorsal fin! http://tinypic.com/2mprexjn
This is what I think is female - http://tinypic.com/m/k972pk/2

??!

MarkPT

Should say the dominant male was strutting his stuff - is it possible they lose their black spot etc, and it returns? As said, I'm sure he was 'blacker' in the shop!!

gerald

5 Year Member
I'd guess they're probably two females, based on the rosy-pink bellies, head shape, and blue spangles on the black lateral spot. Time will tell. Yes the black spot (and other colors) can come and go.

BTW your Tinypic hosting site seems to have a malware infection. I got one of those "your computer is infected; call us immediately" pop-ups just after viewing your pictures.

MarkPT

Thanks buddy - yeah the male definitely had more black in the store, and it's confusing as it's all gone currently, including his black spot on body .... not like it's there but feint at the moment! Yet his dorsal 2/3rd fin IS longer .... will hold on a week and see maybe!
Would there be an issue integrating a DEFINITE male into these ? It's a 90cm tank so I think long enough with plenty of bogwood and have java fern.

Hmmm, literally created that account just to upload those pics - it's a generic hosting site, so not sure if it's a weird 'spam' pop up or something as it's all hosted externally on the web?

Ade205

Hi Mark.

I would agree with Gerald and say both your fish are females also. There seems to be two colour forms for gbr's where the female has the pink belly in one form and not in the other.
I've bred and reared lots of gbr's and have seen females without the pink belly, but never a fish with a pink belly that wasn't female. Your fish has a unusually long first ray in its dorsal, however, from experience I would expect a male with that sort of development to have longer and narrowing tips to ventral fins. Have to admit not seen one like yours before though! Also be aware they may spawn as a pair even if both female.
Regarding adding a male, should be fine though if he bonds with one of the females keep a close eye on the other as they can get quite badly harassed.
Check out my video in this thread on Rams spawing to get a good idea of typical colouration and finage for either sex...
http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/threads/rams-spawning-got-really-good-video-of-egg-laying.22583/
One last question, are you in the UK? If so, where abouts?

Thanks, Ade.

Last edited:

MarkPT

Thanks Ade - yes in Surrey.

The Rams are only 24hours in my tank, and the 'paler' ram has started to get his/her colours further since settling in and feeding frozen foods .... some black is coming up, still very confusing in 'the look' --- will post some more pics in 2-3 days and see if there's anything further happening!

Thanks for reply!

Ade205

A few miles away from me mate, I'm in the Midlands near Derby.

Re your fish, reminds me of a juvenile.... I've 70 plus juveniles at about 1 inch long currently and although many have black markings, many don't. I assume you're fish is pretty much adult size? I'd always prefer young fish in shops to not show to much colour as hopefully means they've not been exposed to hormones.

Ade.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….