• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sexing A. sp "Winkelfleck/Angle-spot"

curviceps

5 Year Member
Hello.

I bought two A. sp "Winkelfleck/Angle-spot", but I'm not too sure of their sexes. Could someone please help sexing these?

Thanks

Apisto #1

anglespot1.jpg

Apisto #2

masken1.jpg

curviceps

5 Year Member
Thanks Mike. They looked like 2 males by the time they got home so thanks for confirming that.

Are Maskens and Angle-Spots similar such that the LFS mis-labelled them?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Both are regani-group species from Peru. To the inexperienced eye they could be confused. Both species have even been sold commercially under the name "A. sp. Cara Pintada". Obvious differences are seen in the depth of the body, height of the dorsal fin, prominence of the tail stripes, and width of the vertical bars.

A. sp. Masken: moderately deep body (similar to A. sp. Rotpunkt); dorsal fin moderately high (typical of most regani-group species); Dark, well marked vertical stripes on most of the height of the tail of the male (faint on females); tall, narrow band-like caudal spot over entire height of caudal peduncle; dark vertical bars much wider than light interstitial area.

A. sp. Winkelfleck: relatively deep body (similar to A. hongsloi cf II); dorsal fin shorter than average (and caudal fin small for such a large apisto); less dark, less distinctly bordered caudal fin bands that cover the interior half of the tail; dark bars on flanks angle posteriorly and are narrower than the light interstitial area.

Microman

5 Year Member
Pics of my A sp Winkelflek... Ive noticed that the dark vertical bars on the flanks are nearly always present whilst in most moods on my male.
Mark...
Winkelflek.jpg

Winkelflek_1.jpg

Winkelflek_FFry2.jpg

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonaldStype

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….