• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Setup for breeding

Andreas

Hi
I am getting 2 25 gallon tanks and was wondering if it would be possible to set it up like this,
First tank
Apistogramma Mac pair with 3 ottos and a small schooling fish as dither ( what would work that is a bit more common)
2 tank
mac babies (small amount)and maybe try to breed bristelnose pleco
Both tanks heavily planted
What would you rather do and what would be your advise

yukondog

5 Year Member
Tank 1 should, work but no BN.
Tank 2 Make sure the fry are big enough the BN can't eat them, as in really small fry. BN are as you probably already know are very messy, I have three MFF and they are messy, I have to clean the tank every couple of days even more so after feeding squash.

Andreas

would it work if the first tank is a 17 gallon with only the pair and ottos no dithers?
Tank 1 should, work but no BN.
Tank 2 Make sure the fry are big enough the BN can't eat them, as in really small fry. BN are as you probably already know are very messy, I have three MFF and they are messy, I have to clean the tank every couple of days even more so after feeding squash.
[/QUOT

yukondog

5 Year Member
If it's a 17 tall it has the same footprint as a 10 gl., you gain nothing, if you breed the parents and remove them when needed and use it as a growout tank, maybe.

Andreas

If it's a 17 tall it has the same footprint as a 10 gl., you gain nothing, if you breed the parents and remove them when needed and use it as a growout tank, maybe.
Well it is a 17 long.
when the fry are older I transfer them to the 25 grow out
can the parents stay in the 17?

yukondog

5 Year Member
I would keep the fry in the 17 [temp.] and the parents in the 25. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buthag

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….