• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sand as substrate?

BristolCichlids

5 Year Member
What type of sand can you use as substrate in apisto tanks? Can it be play sand from Home Depot or will that clump up? I just won a Pair of Red Cacatuoides, Breeding pair of cruzi's, and a male Viejita II at NJAS auction yesterday, to add to my pair of nijsseni's. I will probably add the pairs to their own 20's and put the viejita in with one of the pairs. Any recommendation on which pair he would be alright with?

aspen

5 Year Member
i use sand from home depot, (the white silica decorative sand) in any tank now with substrate. i really like it, but they buy that stuff from all different suppliers, so make sure that you do an acid test on it. you don't want it to leach carbonates into a s/a tank. (will raise ph)

sorry i can't help you wih the viejita q, i've only had my pair for 3 weeks or so.

rick

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….